11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2013 4:44 PM by philmodjunk

Printer issue after upgrading to FM 12

JamesHugghins

Title

Printer issue after upgrading to FM 12

After I upgraded to FM 12 I am having problems printing 2 forms that are 8.5 x 5.5 and print on an Okidata impact printer. The form will only print part of the form and then advance to the next sheet to complete the rest of the form. If I change the sheet  size to 8.5 x 6.5 the complete form will print but advances the printer to the next sheet (as if the sheet size is 11"). I have checked the margins and the page size in the layout settings and the printer scripts in FM and in the printer settings.  I also re-installed the printer drive.

Any help would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Printer issue after upgrading to FM 12
          philmodjunk

We've used OkiData impact printers  for years. Have you checked the page length setting in the printer's firmware? Any chance that it has reverted to the sttandard 11" page length?

• 2. Re: Printer issue after upgrading to FM 12
            JamesHugghins

Thanks PhilModJunk. I ran the test on the printer that has all the settings. A couple of the settings changed and I reset them back to upgrade. It is like there is a hidden margin. I even went and deleted a part of the form thinking that a shift or page break was inserted, but that did not help. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• 3. Re: Printer issue after upgrading to FM 12
              philmodjunk

To confirm, when you hold down the buttons to print out the page of printer settings, you see a correct page length specification of 5.5 inches?

Then, in print setup, do you see a custom page size of 5.5 inches specified?

Please note that these are two different  settings--either one of which could create problems if not correctly set.

Then, are you printing via script or manually from the File menu? If you are using a script, try using print setup to verify that all your printer settings are correct and then print from the file menu. Does it work?

If both of those settings appear to be correct and printing from the file menu, enter layout mode and confirm that the correct settings are specified in printer set up for printer, page size and page orientation. Then enter layout mode check for the page break line on your layout. Where do you see it on your layout?

You can also try recreating your layout from scratch to see if the new layout has the same issue as the old. If you do this, do not copy and paste objects from the original layout.

If you can print correctly from the File Menu and not from your script. Try updating your script or replacing it with a new script.

• 4. Re: Printer issue after upgrading to FM 12
                JamesHugghins

Hey Phil,

Well I tried to recreate the form using a new blank layout and started the body of the form from scratch. Still no luck. If I change the form size in the print preferences I can get the complete form to print but before I can print the next form I have to reset the top of form (pain in the butt). I also wrote a new script for the form. Any other in sight? I have tried everything I can think of.

Thanks,

James

• 5. Re: Printer issue after upgrading to FM 12
                  philmodjunk

We aren't using FileMaker 12 yet--still using FM 10 actually, and we have been transitioning from Okidata to Eposn printers as the model Okidata we used to use is no longer manufactured. Thus, I can't test this out on similar equipment at this time.

It seems very odd that you have to reset the top of form after every print. That would seem to indicate that the page length setting for the printer (this is not a setting made in print set up) is not set for the correct page length. With the Micro line printers that we used, we had to go through the buttons on the front of the printer and print out a listing of all the internal printer settings and then step through them until we found the one for page length and then cycle through those settings to get the one that matched the length of the stock (they aren't 11" in length).

• 6. Re: Printer issue after upgrading to FM 12
                    JamesHugghins

Phil,

I was playing with the Top Of Form trying to get the form to print completely because it was not working with the printier settings that I had before the update. I was using the front panel buttons to create and adjust (what little there is). So the next thing I tried was to create a form in a new blank database that was the same size and my form and I still have the same issue. I have a feeling that there is a compatiblity issue with the Okidata printers and FM 12. The problem with this is that I spent the money to update all my systems and I have 2 years of preprinted forms in stock. The last thing I want to do is to have to replace 2 printers because of an update. Do you know anything about a plug-in call FM Butler? I saw a comment about it and I checked it out. It is suppose to give you more control of you printers but I am not sure if that is the answer. Any additional insight would be appreciated. What is the worse thing is I have been using FM 12 for a month now and if I wanted to go back to FM 10 I would have to go back and input all the data in manually and the chance of error scares me.  Thanks for all your help.

James Hugghins

• 7. Re: Printer issue after upgrading to FM 12
                      philmodjunk

FMButler has been around a long time. I've looked into it as a way to improve our set up, but Boss decided cost didn't justify the benfits as it would have supplied a very minor improvement in our systems.

I doubt it would resolve this issue but if it can it sounds like a reasonable option. (20/20 hindsight but perhaps you should have downloaded and tested things out with the FMP 12 30 day free trial before spending the $$ on an upgrade.)

if I wanted to go back to FM 10 I would have to go back and input all the data in manually and the chance of error scares me.

You wouldn't acutally need to do that. You can export the data from 12 into text files such as a merge, tab or csv file, then import the data back into 11.

• 8. Re: Printer issue after upgrading to FM 12
                        JamesHugghins

That's what I tought about FM Butler. I am just going to have to educate my staff that they will have to manually have to park the form and form feed everytime they print to the Okidata printers. Thanks again for all the help and trust me I will try the trail download before I upgrade in the future.

Thanks again,

James

• 9. Re: Printer issue after upgrading to FM 12
                          philmodjunk

You might also check with Okidata's web site for updated or alternative printer drivers to see if they make any difference. We used to use an epson printer driver with the Okidata model we used to use though I forget now why we went with that option.

• 10. Re: Printer issue after upgrading to FM 12
                            JamesHugghins

Hey Phil,

I checked and Okidata does not have a new driver for Windows XP which is the OS that I use with the printers.

Thanks,

James

• 11. Re: Printer issue after upgrading to FM 12
                              philmodjunk

Don't know who suggested it or why, But we still print to an Okidata microline 591 using an Epson SQ-2500 printer driver. Strange but true and it works.