AnsweredAssumed Answered

Printer or Script Problem? Converted old Mac files to PC FM10 don't print right

Question asked by FlyFisher on Apr 28, 2009
Latest reply on May 29, 2009 by FlyFisher

Title

Printer or Script Problem? Converted old Mac files to PC FM10 don't print right

Printing files converted from the Mac to the  PC version results in the page overflowing the borders with the print chopped off from the right side. 

The records for our adult students are  in a pair of linked FileMaker filesMac version 4.0v3., customized  in the mid-1990s by a developer who volunteered his services.

The data is stored in two separate files “Students” and “Categories” that link up via the student ID number and that must be kept in the same folder. Opening “Students” simultaneously opens “Categories.” The consultant designed the files with scripts, so they would layout and print the data to match up with a paper form we had been using. The “Students” file contains student information (name, address, phone, etc.) and the “Categories” file contains various categories of work completed by the student. Two quirks that came with the customized Mac version: 1. Files are saved by selecting “Quit” rather than “Save.” 2. The developer put a “Huge Monitor” and “Powerbook” option.. Switching views sometimes meant opening both files and setting the page setup to 93% print reduction or we would have the current printing problem.

After converting our files to v10, when we tried to print using  the “Print all found students” script, the text appeared larger and the right side of the page was cut off. I thought I would be able to fix the problem by adjusting print size, so we purchased two copies of FileMaker. Help!  We need to do our student write-ups in May, so students our students can graduate in June.

Specs

Dell Optiplex GX270

Intel(R)

Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.8 GHz

2.79 GHz, 1.25 GB RAM

Printer:  HP LaserJet 4700 PCL 6

Driver:  HPZSS41A.DLL 60.52.262.32

- on City of Cambridge intranet; printer network also used by others; printer options do not include print reduction

Build 2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.080814-1236 (Service Pack 3)

Filemaker Pro 10.0v1

What options are selected in the print setup?  That is, page size, scaled percentage, orientation, etc.

Page setting is for normal 8.5 x11” paper. The printer setting does not have a % print reduction option. This might be part of the problem, but I’m not sure. I tried connecting with an older printer (no longer available) with a % option, when I set the option for 93% on one file, the setting would disappear after I saved it, closed the file and then opened the other one to set it for 93%.  

Files converted from:FileMaker Pro Mac version 4.0v3 (7/8/99) with Y2K updates on a Mac G3 OS 8.6

Saving the files to PDF and then printing doesn't’t help.

I have screen snapshots of all of the scripts and what the file looks like when open if that will help..

Thanks.

Outcomes