1 2 3 4 Previous Next 54 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2010 7:25 AM by ericjungemann

Printer Settings not persistent

SirFatty

Title

Printer Settings not persistent

Hello,

I have a very simple database set to print labels.  There are 4 fields and one report layout used to print to a Dymo printer using a specific label.

Using the script (or the print setup), I can successfully change to the correct page size:  30256 Shipping Label.  It will stay configured for the remainder of the session, until exiting the program and running it again.  Then the default page size is reset to 30252.

I am using FMP v9, the Dymo printer is a Dymo 330 (which I have networked).  Also, the print queue is configured with the correct page (the 30256) by default as well.  

This issue has plagued me for a while, and would like to avoid having to purchase a third party app that might not address this issue (not to mention adds another layer of complexity).

Any help is very much appreciated.

• 1. Re: Printer Settings not persistent
          TSGal

SirFatty:

Thank you for your post.

Have you thought about having this script automatically execute when you open the database file?  That way, you wouldn't have to reset it each time.  Pull down the File menu and select "File options..."   Select the Open/Close tab.  Under "When opening this file", check the option to Perform script, and select the Page Setup script.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Printer Settings not persistent
            SirFatty

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it!

This problem is fairly basic and easy to reproduce.  When using a script,  for example, and I use the Print Setup function and click Specify, and choose the paper size to be 30236 label, it will not stick.  I can click ok, and click specify again and it reverts back to the 30252.

I can change it with Print Setup from the file menu, but it will only stick until you exit FMP.

Weird, huh?

• 3. Re: Printer Settings not persistent
              TSGal

SirFatty:

On a Mac with OS X 10.5.5 running FileMaker Pro 9.0v3, I'm unable to duplicate the problem.  This is what I have done:

1. I went into Page Setup and noticed I'm printing to an HP LaserJet 4050N on the network with the Paper size set to US Letter.

2. I go into ScriptMaker and create a new script and use the "Print Setup" command.

3. I check the option to "Perform without dialog"

4. I check the option to "Specify page setup"

5. In the Page Setup dialog box, I set the settings to "Page attributes", format for "DYMO LabelWriter DUO Tape 128", and set the paper size to "06 mm (1/4") Continuous", and click OK.

6. I save the script.

7. I go back into Page Setup and see I'm still printing to an HP LaserJet 4050N.

8. I run the script, go back into Page Setup, and I've now switched to the DYMO LabelWriter DUO Tape 128 with the paper size set to 06 mm.

Let me know if I'm missing any steps.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: Printer Settings not persistent
                SirFatty

7. I go back into Page Setup and see I'm still printing to an HP LaserJet 4050N.

When I go back, I see the changes I made with the Specify Print Setup button (within the script).  Setting those 

8. I run the script, go back into Page Setup, and I've now switched to the DYMO LabelWriter DUO Tape 128 with the paper size set to 06 mm.

It changed when I created the script, but even after I ran it, the default paper size goes back to 30252.  I have compiled this an ran it on several other PCs all with the same result.

I am running on Windows XP SP3, FMPro Advanced v9.

• 5. Re: Printer Settings not persistent
                  jsalzer_1

Hey, TSGal,

I just want to confirm that there are platform differences when dealing with the "dymo problem".

In my situation, my Mac is the only computer in the building that consistently has success running print scripts that send to the Dymo.

On all of the other machines in the building (Windows), there is no rhyme or reason to when it decides to work.  In general, it tends to try to send it to the Dymo printer as 8.5 x 11, despite the fact that the script clearly sets the print size to the correct Dymo size (which works flawlessly on the Mac.)

My general rule of thumb is that FileMaker + Windows + Dymo is a three-way combo that just doesn't work.  Any two of them work fine, but not all three.

:(

• 6. Re: Printer Settings not persistent
                    SirFatty

jsalzer,

Thanks for that info, I have been fighting this for quite some time!  Too bad there is not a fix for it, this really calls into question FMP viability for this project... by chance have you ever used the Seiko label printer, and if so, did it fair any better?

Thanks!

• 7. Re: Printer Settings not persistent
                      SirFatty

jsalzer,

one more quick question, are the Dymo printers networked or directly connected to the Windows machines?

thanks again

• 8. Re: Printer Settings not persistent
                        jsalzer_1

Hi, SirFatty,

We have both networked and USB-connected.  Both suffer the same problems.

I don't have experience with any other labelwriters, but I believe that it has more to do with FM's inability to "let go" of print settings and to obsess over the default printer than to do with Dymo itself.

Hopefully someone else who has seen the problems but has had success fixing them will chime in here.  :)

• 9. Re: Printer Settings not persistent
                          jonnyt

Ive had some Print setting issues before too.

As a rule of thumb ensure that:-

In Filemaker, Fille, Print Setup the correct defaukts are selected

In windows control panel, Printers, printer properites, make sure the default settings are set correctly.

• 10. Re: Printer Settings not persistent
                            SirFatty

jsalzer,

Thanks for that... I fully agree, and it's good to hear someone validate my experience.  I don't have this issue with any other printer, only the Dymo.  Well, my new Seiko label printer will be here today, we'll see how that goes.

To bad I have to use specific hardware to make Filemaker happy.

• 11. Re: Printer Settings not persistent
                              SirFatty

Ok, an update:

Bought a Seiko Smart Label Printer 440, and the results are the same.  The default paper size does not stay as I configure it.  Forget scripts, it is not saving it within the print setup on the file menu.  What's weird is that page orientation sticks, just not the paper size.

I have the defaults set at the printer level, you would think FMP would just read those settings.

Update:  I can use my HP 1022, make changes to the paper size (change it from letter to #10 envelope, for example) and it sticks.  It's just something with label printers I guess.  

Is there a fix for this or not?  As it stands, FMP 9 advanced was a waste of money.

• 12. Re: Printer Settings not persistent
                                SirFatty

Still more info... I tried this same test in FMPro v4 and it works exactly as expected.  So, I opened the FMP4 database with v9 hoping that it would stick with the database/layout, but no luck.  So, I guess I roll back to FMPv4.

Is there anyway to get an RMA?

• 13. Re: Printer Settings not persistent
                                  Pecos

Hello,

Maybe the solution is simple! I have no problem switching from Dymo to HP Laser and back if the Print Setup script is silent (no dialog). (FP9, Windows version, by the way)

Previously, when I popped-up the Print Setup dialog before printing, I always had to manually change things. I was on the verge of buying a plug-in which I really didn't think I should need for two printers.

Somehow the script remembers the correct print setup the first time you edit Print Setup, even though it will not be shown correctly the next time you edit the script.

Maybe this will also work for two shipping label sizes?

• 14. Re: Printer Settings not persistent
                                    TSGal

SirFatty:

If the solution by "Pecos" doesn't work for you, and the printing works in FileMaker Pro 4, then contact me privately (top of this page - right side - X Messages).  In order for our Customer Assistance department to process a return, they need your license key and order number, so please include that in the private message.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

1 2 3 4 Previous Next