9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2013 5:27 AM by JimMac

Printers that work properly with FM 12?

JeanAnneMayhall

Title

Printers that work properly with FM 12?

I am seeking input from businesses that use FM 12.  I have been using Filemaker since the mid 90s.  I am seeking info:  Can anyone give me a model number of a high-end printer that runs well and fast on FM 12.  (Without using the 'Print to pdf' workaround that FM has suggested.)

I am a loyal fan who has spent a lot of money over the years keeping up to date with versions of this great software.

However I recently converted my office to FM 12.  Within 3 days I had to remove it all...and go back to 11.  The single reason was >  PRINTING.  We print about 300 letters a day (and all of our invoices and other docs) directly from FM.  Our company runs on FM.

When I converted back to 11, every printing issue ceased.  We were back in business.  Note: I have already done serious troubleshooting with FM and my printer company.

Thanks in advance for names of any printers that work WELL and fast with regular priting using FM 12.

• 1. Re: Printers that work properly with FM 12?
          JimMac

What is your OS?  Mac or Windows?  It sounds very unusual.  Where is your printer?  Direct connect or shared on LAN?  Brand name of your printers?  Are you printing a lot of pictures?  Do you use a lot of colors and various fonts?  Have  you tried a test with a starter solution in FMP12 to Print a format similar to your office example?

The biggest change from FMP11 to FMP12 was 64 bit addressing, thus allowing very large text fields et.al..  Also a big change in GRAPHIC abilities, which may require a Printing layout recheck to make sure it is properly converted.

Jim...

• 2. Re: Printers that work properly with FM 12?
            ThomasLamkin

I also have the same type of problem. I try to print one record with just text on it through the print dialog and my HP OfficeJet Pro 8500A CRASHES!

It takes about 5 minutes for it to boot up and become usable again. If I save the record as a PDF file and then print the PDF file there is no problem.

• 3. Re: Printers that work properly with FM 12?
              philmodjunk

When dealing with printer issues, here are several things you can work through:

Create a small brand new from scratch file. (Don't copy or import anything from your existing file.) See if you can print successfully to your printer from it. If you can, there may be an issue with your file or a specific layout within that file.

Try creating a brand new layout (again, don't copy from the problem layout) in your existing layout and try printing from it. If that works, your layout may be damaged and you may need to replace it.

Try recovering the file and see if the recovered copy still has printing issues. (Test the recovered copy even if recover does not report finding any problems with the file.)

Go on line and see if there is an updated printer driver to download for your printer. If so, download/install it and see if that helps.

• 4. Re: Printers that work properly with FM 12?
                JeanAnneMayhall

Thank you for the input.  As per the Foum under SLOW printing with FM 12 since last year...it seems many companies are having the issue we have with VERY slow printing.  I will run all tests you all have indicated and report back.

TSFALCON has asked for live files and I think your team is working on this.  I hope.  The workaroud is to print as pdf.  But that is not efficient and is frankly, kind of silly when one is priting 400 letters. 

However none of our layouts are printing in FM 12.  I will create a new one from scratch.

NOTES:  We are running a new Ricoh and several 3 to 4 year old HP printers. Plus a UPS label printer.  All drivers are current.
                     Win 7, LAN, Server 12, we print in batches of 300 to 1000 from various layouts. ALL other office software prints just fine. FM 11 prints same jobs fine. 

I will try all you have suggested. Good ideas.

• 5. Re: Printers that work properly with FM 12?
                  philmodjunk

Slow printing is a well documented issue with Fm 12 and there are a number of threads on it over in Report An Issue, but delays in printing should not produce crashes or "hangs". That may be a separate issue here and my suggestions were intended to rule out possible causes for such crashes and hangs.

• 6. Re: Printers that work properly with FM 12?
                    JimMac

Most printing done at a base program level is just opening the driver and "drawing the printable items" to the driver.  It is the same as drawing the screen.  At our level in FMP, it is like Refresh Screen, in which FMP base programming is redrawing the visiable screen area.

The less to draw, the faster the print!yes

FMP 12 is full of new stuff like gradients that are slow to draw.  Simplify your output for speed.enlightened

Jim...

• 7. Re: Printers that work properly with FM 12?
                      JimMac

One last thought....

PDF files are formed at Machine speeds, while most printers are serial devices [USB] or LAN speeds.  Then you "snapshot" the pdf to the printer after all the pdf drawing were done at high speed.

A pdf file is just another way of printing like my last post says.  The pdf is a driver.

Jim...

• 8. Re: Printers that work properly with FM 12?
                        JeanAnneMayhall

I am going to try all of the suggestions. To be clear, we did not experience crashes.  We did experience exceptioanlly SLOW prining. Printer has its own IP address, not USB.  (A simple set of 200 letters that took 8 minutes on FM 11, took almost 3 hours in 12.  Just sayin.  Office-stopping printing.  Nothing changed in my layouts. Nothing changed in anything, except we converted to 12.  Then reverted back to 11.

I am reading here about the technical differences in 12, and so will try some of the tips. I got feedback from several at FM that the 'Save as Pdf', then print that file is the workaround for this issue.   I understand about pdfs, but just the extra steps it takes to save and then print a large pdf file, is frankly no way to run a business. 

Also, it was not just large print files.  My shipping department only prints one black and white invoice at a time.  Even that took WAY too long.  And we surely do not have time to save every invoice as a pdf.  FM 12 , IMHO, should be able to print fast and efficiently and with no hitch, right out of our Invoices file. As it has for 20 years.  FM 12 should be able to easily handle letters with 20% color coverage and a logo.

No, something is up with this software.  I will run all the tests I can and report back.  But there are way too many people crying out about this issue, as Phil points out over on 'Report An Issue'. 

Stand by.  And thank you.

• 9. Re: Printers that work properly with FM 12?
                          JimMac

However none of our layouts are printing in FM 12.  I will create a new one from scratch.

NOTES:  We are running a new Ricoh and several 3 to 4 year old HP printers. Plus a UPS label printer.  All drivers are current.
                               Win 7, LAN, Server 12, we print in batches of 300 to 1000 from various layouts. ALL other office software prints just fine. FM 11 prints same jobs fine. 

I have one of the Ricoh printer servers and Batching may be the issue.

I don't have the FMP 12 Server yet.

But this is a Wild Guess....

1) IP address is still serial just at higher speed.  So if you you may be creating a lot of LAN activity thus a print server will wait to get a completed job, before printing, but contiunues to spool the next job.

2) Batches may take a long time to print a batch from high LAN activity.

Second Guess.....

1) Redo one of the FMP 12 converted Layouts to be just simple, no color, no graphic, just text and lines.

2) Assuming you mean batch.. means you are looping through a found set of many records.  Put a Pause for ".1" seconds between print records.  This allows for a complete LAN send and handshaking between each print.

3) Depending on your print sever's memory and printer speed you may have to Print [say 20] pages with a counter and add a second pause of say "10 sec" before continuing.  This regulates LAN activity , kinda like a stop light at a heavy traffic intersection.

Remember these are guesses.angel

Jim...