8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2012 4:21 PM by philmodjunk

Printing

johnw54

Title

Printing

When the print dialog box comes up and I change my mind about printing the message below pops up about continuing with the script.  I have set error capture on but the messages still appears.  I would like to hide this message and continue with the script but I'm not sure how to set it up in the script.

Cancel_Script.jpg

• 1. Re: Printing
          philmodjunk

Set Error Capture should suppress this dialog.

Can you post your script and also let us know what version of FileMaker and what operating system you have?

To post a script to the forum:

1.           You can upload a screen shot of your script by using the Upload an Image controls located just below Post A Answer.
          3.           You can print a script to a PDF, open the PDF and then select and copy the script as text from the opened PDF to your clipboard for pasting here.
          5.           If You have FileMaker Advanced, you can generate a database design report and copy the script as text from there.
          7.           If you paste a text form of the script, you can use the Script Pretty box in the Known Bugs List database to paste a version that is single spaced and indented for a more professional and easier to read format. (Use the HTML option on the database tab panel and paste the text into the forum's HTML editor.)
          • 2. Re: Printing
            johnw54

Using FM Pro advanced 12.0v3   running Mac 10.7.5

• 3. Re: Printing
              philmodjunk

From what context are you experiencing this error dialog?

From Pro?

From a Runtime?

From FM Go?

On my Windows XP system, using 12.03, I can't reproduce this. I used the following script:

Set Error Capture [on]
                   Print [Restore ; "printer driver name here"]
                   Show Custom Dialog.

If I clicked Cancel in the Print Dialog, it was dismissed and the custom dialog box opened without any such error message.

By any chance does the "Show Fabric Catalog" script include a Set Error Capture [off] step?

You may need to move the set error capture [on] step down to be just above the first If step to avoid such an issue.

• 4. Re: Printing
                johnw54

The "Show Fabric Catalog" has a Set Error Capture On and off step.  I have removed the Off step and now it all works fine... Thank you.

• 5. Re: Printing
                  johnw54

Below is part of a script I'm using to print/print pdf/email etc.  I would like to be able to set the variable to add a secondary image from the same record so for example when the photo is set to the variable the schematic field is set also and then when I print they go together.

• 6. Re: Printing
                    philmodjunk

Did we discuss this in a prior thread? I don't recall and I'd need to know a lot more about the design of your database to understand what you want here.

• 7. Re: Printing
                      johnw54

We had discussed that you can't send multiple pdf's at once.  You would have to append if possible.  The attachement below shows 3 different files combined.  The photo and fabrics are a jpg and the schematic is a pdf.  When the client is specifying a job they will select a frame style, a few different fabrics and they would like to know the sizes of the piece.  I would love to be able to give the client a complete package.  This is actually 3 different container fields from 2 different tables.  It would be incredible if I could create a layout for all of this but it's got to be abouve my skill level.  So the next best thing would be to send 1 email.  So is it possible to create variables to hold each item and then send it as 1 pdf file. The other alternative would be to create 3 different pdf and put them together in acrobat.  I know this is very ambitious... do you have any thoughts?

• 8. Re: Printing
                        philmodjunk

Both appending PDFs to create a single file (each individual PDF starts a new page) and including all the images on a single layout are both possible.

When using a script to save a PDF, there's an append option that can be used to append the PDF saved to an existing PDF file. But keep in mind that this won't work from a runtime and may not work from FM GO.