2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2012 9:11 AM by davidanders

Printing a catalog

JonCarter

Title

Printing a catalog

Hi - I'm new to FileMaker Pro12 and am trying to create a printable product catalog. I have set up a number of records containing various fields, including images, but I really need to figure out how to arrange numerous records on one page, as it were. The ultimate desire is to have a range of products in a database which can also be printed in a standard multi-page catalog format, with each page depicting say, 8 items with details. Basically, I can't see how to do this. Am I expecting too much here, or am I just missing something realy obvious?

Thanks for any pointers. 

• 1. Re: Printing a catalog
          philmodjunk

What you describe sounds possible, but keep in mind that FileMaker is a database, not a desktop publishing application. You can't, for example, flow text around an image on the page.

That said, a list view layout can list multiple records on a given page.

• 2. Re: Printing a catalog
            davidanders

Merging a Filemaker database with Pagemaker catalog layouts was all the rage years ago, called Database Publishing.

Merging a Filemaker database and an Indesign catalog layout using Automator on a Mac is detailed here.

http://automator.us/examples-04.html
            Automated Database Publishing
                   Successful businesses, large and small, rely on databases to organize and store information vital to their operations. And it is common practice to use this stored data to create reports, catalogs, and other documents used in marketing, sales, and management of products. For businesses looking for speed, accuracy, and scalability in their operations, automation is the essential element of their success.
                 The following workflow is an example of how stored data is quickly and accurately poured into print-layout templates using Automator, FileMaker Pro, and Adobe InDesign. Note that the principles demonstrated here remain functional regardless of the scale of the project or operation, or the applications used.

Google "filemaker indesign database publishing"
            https://www.google.com/search?q=filemaker+indesign+database+publishing