Check out the sliding fields settings on the inpector's position tab. You can size the field to be much taller than the largest text you might enter in the field, then set it to slide up, also resize enclosing part.
Key facts about sliding:
- It's only visible in preview mode and when you print/save as PDF...
- All layout objects below a slide/resize field need to also be set to slide up and resize.
- Only objects in the body will slide.
- Portals will shrink/slide to fit the number of rows of records, but fields within the portal row will not shrink/slide.
- Consistent side borders are difficult to achieve with sliding fields.
Still a little lost. I see what you mean on the inspector's po9sition tab but,
let say the field I have is on layout blue. It has the slide capability and stores notes on a product.
I want to create a script to go to a blank layout and print the entire notes section. I tried to just place the field on the blank layout and resize it but if I resize it past one page when it prints, it always prints 2 pages. So if someone only wrote a sentence it would print 2 pages. I want it to print 1, 2, 3 ,4 pages whatever is needed based on the amount of text in the field.
There is an option to slide up and an option to resize the enclosing part. Both must be selected or the field will slide up, but the empty space below the sliding field will be retained. Any other layout objects in the body positioned below this field would also need to have the slide up and resize options selected.
Such large fields do not always break cleanly across page breaks. Make sure you have the v3 update installed if you are using FileMaker 11. Even with that update installed, you may need to make small adjustments to your layout to get the fields to break without splitting a line of text in half between two pages.