4 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2011 9:18 AM by fredrogers

Printing a list of records on to a form letter

fredrogers

Title

Printing a list of records on to a form letter

Ok, I am new to FileMaker so please ask any questions if I leave out an important detail.

What I am trying to do is print a letter that has a variable amount of information in it. 

I have a table with clients and a related table with invoices in it. 

What I would like is a letter that has some client information at the top, ie our logo, the date, and the client's mailing address, then a little message about the invoices. Then I would like it to print all the out standing invoices number, date, and description. (all fields in the invoice table) and end with a nice statement with the total number of outstanding invoices and please pay etc. 

I tried making a list layout using the invoice table with all the client info in the header, then the information I wanted in the body, then closing statement in the footer. 

Something like:

Header: Logo, <<client::address>>, dear <<client::fullname>>

Body: Invoice numb:<<Invoice num>>  On <<Date>> work done: <<Description>>

Footer: Nice message with a total and please pay etc

When I run the script to go to related records, do my find and sort by script it looks ok. All the invoices are listed.

But when I print the layout it breaks each invoice record in to a new page. ie

Header

Invoice 1

Footer

Header 

Invoice 2

Footer

etc

How Can I get a print out like looks like:

Header

Invoice 1

Invoice 2

Footer

I am so close on getting the letter done. I have the scripts selecting the correct invoices. Now I need to get all the invoices printing in the middle of the header and footer and I will be good. 

Help!!

-=fred=-

• 1. Re: Printing a list of records on to a form letter
          LaRetta_1

You need to use List layout in your invoice stable so the body is your invoices.  The Client information should be in a leading sub-summary part (based upon Invoices::ClientID) and trailing sub-summary part instead of a footer to hold total amount due (which is summary field).

You find all of your invoices for all clients to send. 

Invoices::ClientID and then invoices date.

Go to Layouts > Part Setup and select the sub-summary when sorted by Client.  Then below you will see page breaks and select 'page breaks before each occurrence' of client.

So it will look like:

leading part sub-summary --> clientID 1 (place client name and information from clients table here but base the part on Invoices::ClientID)
          body -> client 1's invoice 300
          body -> client 1's invoice 305
          trailing part sub-summary --> please pay this amount  summary field defined as 'total of invoice'

You may want to reduce parts.  Search in Help in your FM menu for "Removing blank spaces in printouts" to handle that porton.  And most importantly, your report MUST be sorted by the leading part (in this case Client).

• 2. Re: Printing a list of records on to a form letter
            fredrogers

Thank you!

I would have never thought to use sub-summaries.

I just put toghther a test layout to see if all the data I wanted would show up, and yes it did!

I will still need to play with the "Removing blank spaces in printouts". My Test layout had large spaces between the different invoices, but at least they are all showing up on one page. I am not sure if the sliding kicks in before the page gets crowded, so I will make my full form letter and post back. 

-=fred=-

• 3. Re: Printing a list of records on to a form letter
              fredrogers

Well the invoices are showing up on a single page.  But I am still having spacing issues between the listed invoices. 

It is like there is a blank line in between every invoice.  This is causing the print out to be more then one page and the leading part sub summary and trailing part are smash on top of each other on the second page.

I have sized the body part of the the form letter to be as tight as I can and still it looks like it is double spaced when printed.

I clicked on every field and text object in the body  and set the sliding to slide up base on all objects above and also resize enclosing part.

Any thoughts?

-=fred=-

• 4. Re: Printing a list of records on to a form letter
                fredrogers

OK I figured out the "Smashed look" issue on the second page.  Our company logo was in the header causing it to show up on the second page.

1 issue down. Now I need to get the invoice spacing better.

-=fred=-