3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2014 8:07 AM by philmodjunk

Printing and sliding w/ multiple fields

ChadBarnard

Title

Printing and sliding w/ multiple fields

I have a report that's pulling information from a multi-tabbed table.  I've laid everything out, and if everything is filled out, it comes to about 23 pages.  Luckily for the trees, I've set up the fields to hide when empty, and I wanted to set up the multi-line text fields to shrink as needed.

I highlighted the first occurrence, along every field after, and set it to slide based on all objects above and to resize enclosing part.  For the first occurrence, it works perfect, but for the remaining ones it leaves all of the unused white space.

Is there a way to get the other fields to follow suit or are you restricted to one field per layout?

Thanks for any help.

• 1. Re: Printing and sliding w/ multiple fields
          philmodjunk

Is there any graphic object in the same layout part, below these fields that is not set to slide up and resize? Even a horizontal line near the bottom of the layout part will prevent the resize.

• 2. Re: Printing and sliding w/ multiple fields
            ChadBarnard

Ok, it looks like the sliding is fine.  The problem is happening because I'm hiding fields.  Like I said above, this is a 23 page (in total) document that 95% of the time will really only have around 5-10 pages of information.

It's a survey form.  I'm wanting to print only the fields that have information in them and hide the ones that are empty.  If I highlight a page and a half section and hide it based on a calculation (from the data tab of the inspector window), I get a 1/5 of a page blank space when printing out.  If I hide two sections, I get 2/5 of a page blank space.

Is there any way to get rid of this white space?

• 3. Re: Printing and sliding w/ multiple fields
              philmodjunk

The fields that "hide" should also be set to slide up and resize.

You might also consider a design change for your database so that all of these questions and their responses become a list of individual records instead of just one record with many blank fields.

Here's an example: Need aid on generating a report from a survey layout.

Key facts about sliding layout objects:

1. It's only visible in preview mode and when you print/save as PDF...
              3. Sliding fields will shrink but not expand.
              5. All layout objects below and in the same layout part as the slide/resize field need to also be set to slide up and resize.
              7. Objects in headers and footers will not slide.
              9. Portals will shrink/slide to fit the number of rows of records, but fields within the portal row will not shrink/slide.
              11. Fields will slide up only if Top alignment is specified for it and will slide left only if Left alignment is specified.
              13. Consistent side borders are difficult to achieve with sliding fields.
              15. In FMP13, hidden objects (”Hide object when”) will slide/resize.