3 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2009 9:44 AM by philmodjunk

Printing behavior different between the side and bottom page boundaries?

swhite

Title

Printing behavior different between the side and bottom page boundaries?

I have a layout called Projects which shows fields from a projects table within the normal page boundary. Also on this layout is a portal listing related data (name, email address, phone number) from a contacts table. The contacts portal is to the right of the page boundary so the user can see the project details and the contacts side-by-side.

When viewing the layout each record shows the project info and correctly displays the contacts associated with that project. I expected the printed version to span 2 pages for each record, but only one page prints per record. It seems, when printing, FileMaker ignores items to the right of the page boundary. Thus, the list of contacts is not printed.

However, if I expand the Body down so that the record spans 2 vertical pages and place items past the page boundary at the bottom of the layout, then there are 2 printed pages for each record; one for the project info and one for the contact list. The problem with spanning the pages vertically is that now the user has to scroll down to see the contact list for every record. Since most of the time, the users are viewing the layouts and not printing them, it is more usable to have the contact list to the right.

Am I missing something here, or is the behavior of printing past page boundaries different if the content is past the right-side boundary vs the bottom boundary? If objects to the right of the page boundary cannot be printed, then what is the point of being allowed to place content there?

Thanks in advance, I've been pulling my hair out trying to figure this one out.

-Scott

• 1. Re: Printing behavior different between the side and bottom page boundaries?
          philmodjunk

I don't think you're missing anything.

One work around is to create a second layout that is set up for printing purposes and keep your original layout for data entry. To save effort, you can select Layouts | Duplicate Layout while in layout mode to start with a copy of your current layout and then re-arrange things for better printed results.

• 2. Re: Printing behavior different between the side and bottom page boundaries?
            swhite

Thanks Phil, I did as you suggested and created a 'Projects - Print' layout, added a button on the Projects layout which executes a script which goes to the print layout, prints the record, and goes back to the original layout. This works, with the down side that 2 layouts will need to be maintained. The plus side is that in the print layout, all extraneous widgetry (navigation buttons, etc.) can be removed for a cleaner printout.

-Scott

• 3. Re: Printing behavior different between the side and bottom page boundaries?
              philmodjunk

Yep, maintaining parallel layouts can be a pain. On the other hand, some other database apps, don't really give you the option of using the same layout for data entry and printing the way you can in Filemaker.

"The plus side is that in the print layout, all extraneous widgetry (navigation buttons, etc.) can be removed for a cleaner printout."

For future reference, where you don't have to maintain a special print layout, you can select an object, pull down Formats | Set Sliding/Printing and check the "Do not print..." check box to keep an object from being printed/previewed. You can also set a conditional format, to change text color to match your background color, using the Get(windowMode) function to determine whether or not your text should be "hidden".