10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2008 10:47 AM by JGR

Printing blank page instead of sliding up

JGR

Title

Printing blank page instead of sliding up

I am attempting to create a layout where we sometimes will need to input a graphic and other times we will not have the graphic within the record.  I have set the slide on the Container field for the image to slide up, but it always prints a blank page where I have the image container instead of sliding up.  Is there any way to prevent this from happening?

Thank you!

JGR

• 1. Re: Printing blank page instead of sliding up
          TSGal

JGR:

For some reason, I can't get a Container to slide up using FileMaker Pro 9.0v3.  All other fields are not a problem, so I'll report this (if it hasn't been done so already) to our Software Quality Assurance (Testing) department for confirmation.

To work around this, I would do the following:

1. Duplicate the current layout and name it "No Container".  Go into Layout Mode, remove the Container field and move all fields upwards, including the Body part.

2. Create a calculation field, EmptyPicture, with the formula:

IsEmpty (<container field name>)

This will return a value 1 if the container is empty, and 0 if the container has information.

3. Next, search for those records where EmptyPicture = 1, select the "No Container" layout and print.

4. Finally, search for those records where EmptyPicture = 0, select the original layout and print.

Does anyone else have a workaround?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Printing blank page instead of sliding up
            jsalzer_1
               I played with this a little.  It seems that sliding up only works if the graphic is set to be top-aligned.  In layout mode, go to "Format>Graphic" and select top alignment.
            • 3. Re: Printing blank page instead of sliding up
              TSGal

jsalzer:

Good call!   Thank you!  That does it.

JGR - Follow the instructions by "jsalzer".  If you are still having difficulty, please post back here.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: Printing blank page instead of sliding up
                JGR2

For some reason, putting it at a top alignment still doesn't allow it to slide up for me.  I'm in Pro 7v1, though.  Would that have anything to do with the difference? 

However, in the other thread I had opened, someone mentioned creating a print layout that has the text on top of the container fields, which I tried and that really helped.  I revamped the layout to fit the text that we're going to need as well as images (as we'll not have both ever in a record--just one or the other).

Also, I am unable to log into my previous JGR account for some reason, but I'm not sure why.  Can anyone help me figure that out as well?  I couldn't find an email for an admin or anything to ask.  It doesn't let me log in and it won't send me a password, saying that the ID doesn't exist, but when I try to recreate the account, it says the email and ID are already in existence.

Thank you ALL for all the help here.  I am extremely grateful and I'm glad to be learning more about this program that's so new to me.

THANK YOU!

JGR

• 5. Re: Printing blank page instead of sliding up
                  TSGal

JGR, JGR2:

I have sent you a private message (top of this page - right side - X Messages) regarding your account.

As far as the graphic not sliding, make sure you also have the other fields below also sliding up, and select the option to also reduce the size of the enclosing part.  That way, when the graphic slides up, the other fields slide up.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 6. Re: Printing blank page instead of sliding up
                    JGR2

TSGal, did you send the PM to the JGR2 account?  I'm not showing any private messages (it says, "You have no private messages" by the envelope), but I'll keep checking back into this one (since I am able to log in here.)

There weren't any other fields below the container field, unfortunately.  I went through and made sure all fields would slide, though, just to double-check that.  It still isn't sliding the image up for some reason.  The print layout with graphic/text on top of each other is definitely an option here, as long as I can get my coworkers to go for it.

Thank you for everything and all the options with this layout.  I'm enjoying learning all the ins and outs of Filemaker, as it will definitely make it easier for me to change things around when needed.  (This layout hasn't been changed in years.)

Thanks!

JGR

• 7. Re: Printing blank page instead of sliding up
                      TSGal

Oops.  I sent it to the JGR account, and since you can't login, you would never see it!  Sorry about that.  I have resent it.

Once I aligned the top edge of the container field, then everything slid up properly.  Again, if there is nothing below the field, just make sure you also checked the option to reduce the size of the enclosing part.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 8. Re: Printing blank page instead of sliding up
                        JGR

I had the reduce enclosing part checked as well, so I'm still confused as to why it won't slide up in preview or when I print.

I have a two-page layout and the graphic container is on the second page.  Does that make a difference, or should it still slide up and not print a blank page if I have nothing within the container field?

(Thanks for getting me sorted out with my account!)

JGR

• 9. Re: Printing blank page instead of sliding up
                          TSGal

JGR:

I would try the following:

1. Create a new layout with only the Container field and a text field that always displays information.  Move the Container field and Text field close to one another, and reduce the size of Body so it is just under the last field.

2. In Layout Mode, click on the Container field, pull down the Format menu and select "Graphic".  Make sure the alignment is set to Top.

3. Select both fields, pull down the Format menu, select Set Sliding/Printing..., and check the box "Sliding up based on ", have the radio button selected for "All above", and check the option "Also reduce the size of the enclosing part".  Click OK.

Go to Preview.  Everything should slide up appropriately.

If this is a problem, let me know.

Then, apply the same thing to the other layout where you are having trouble.  You may want to select all fields, set them to not slide up, click OK, and then reset all the fields again.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 10. Re: Printing blank page instead of sliding up
                            JGR

Thanks!  I actually just went in and set all fields to not slide and then saved the layout.  I went back into the layout and re-set them to slide, and it worked for some reason.  Very odd, but at least it's working for now.