3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2010 4:09 PM by KevinSmith

Printing causes Epson Stylus Photo R300 to go offline

KevinSmith

Title

Printing causes Epson Stylus Photo R300 to go offline

Hello

I'm having a tough time trying to fix this problem. I wonder if you could give me some suggestions.

1. Setup

- OS X 10.5.8,

- FileMaker 10.3 using a shared database hosted by FileMaker 8. This database has been completely developed in FileMaker 8 ie no FM 10 features.  

- Printer Epson Stylus Photo R300 (networked)

2. Problem

Computer can print using all applications. When attempting to print from FileMaker the printer goes offline and no printout is generated. The printer must be restarted. The page is an invoice with a bit of text and a medium resolution logo.

But: If a PDF of the same page is sent to printer, it prints successfully from the computer.

But: Printout from FileMaker 8 machines are unaffected.

3. What I've tried

-I'm in the process of re-installing the print drivers from the Epson Site 

Can you please suggest a few more things for me to tryl

Many thanks

Kevin Smith 

• 1. Re: Printing causes Epson Stylus Photo R300 to go offline
          TSGal

KevinSmith:

Thank you for your post.

Are you printing from a script or from the File menu?

Pull down the View menu and select "Preview Mode".  Do you see data?

Pull down the File menu and select "Page Setup".  The "Format for" setting should be either "Any printer" or "Epson".

Pull down the File menu and select "Print".  Make sure the Epson printer is selected.

Any other information you can provide about the printer driver, layout, etc., may be helpful in narrowing down possible cause(s).

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Printing causes Epson Stylus Photo R300 to go offline
            KevinSmith

Hello TSGal

Thanks for troubleshooting suggestions. I'm going to try them out and a few others that have been suggested to me. I'll let you know how I get along.

Regards

Kevin smith 

• 3. Re: Printing causes Epson Stylus Photo R300 to go offline
              KevinSmith

It's taken me that long to go on site and troubleshoot the problem in person. There is a printer server computer connected directly to the printer via USB cable.

The computer with the printing problem is an Intel based Mac and it has an up-to-date printer driver (2009). It was able to print to the printer when connected directly via USB cable but not using printer sharing. I assumed that if I could get the two computers using the same driver version I could get networked printing working successfully.

The problem is that the print server Mac is running an old version of the Epson driver (circa 2004). It can't take the very latest drive as the latest driver is for Intel Macintosh machines only. Neither was I able to downgrade the driver on the Intel Mac to the 2004 version as that is for pre-Intel Macs only.

Seeing as this problem only affected FileMaker printing, we have decided to not take the matter any further.