5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 15, 2013 5:51 AM by JimMac

Printing Contents Of Container Field

DavidWeaver

Title

Printing Contents Of Container Field

When you import a file reference into a container field, is there any way to print the contents of the container field (the file that is referenced) without bringing up the file's program (Word, Excel, etc.) and having to manually click the print button in that application?  I would like it to print ideally without the user having to go into the other application.

• 1. Re: Printing Contents Of Container Field
          mike.goss@citta.co.uk

Not an answer I'm afraid, but a plea. Does anyone have an answer, I have the same requirement and can't see how to do it. Specifically with a Word file. The database stores a reference to the file, but there is one print out where I would like tio have the contents of the Word file printed, not the file name and logo as it is doing at the moment.

Thanks

• 2. Re: Printing Contents Of Container Field
            JimMac

The answer is NO.  Remember this is a Container field.  How can you print a movie or sound?  It is meant to contain various file types and/or References.  FileMaker is called that because it manages a File system.  It is not a Picture, PDF, word processor, spread sheet or movie editor.angel

Every time I have needed to Print say a Picture type, I find a graphics program is much more powerful than a Excel spread sheet program.

The Container field is a great way to thumbnail or reference many file types.yes

JIm...

• 3. Re: Printing Contents Of Container Field
              mike.goss@citta.co.uk

Jim, I think you are missing the point. The application in this case is a Sales Order Processing system for a manufacturing business which has a large database of products. The Product Database holds (amongst other data on each product) a reference to a design file for the product which happens to be a Word File (it could easily be a PDF if that helped).

When a Works Order is printed by the application - specifiyng Parts Lists, Operations etc a copy of the Design File needs to be printed as well.

I want to do all of this from a single button on screen, using a single script so every thing is printed together.

I can do all of it - except print the Design File.

Is there a way I can, from a Filemaker Script, ask Word to print a copy of a particular Word File (or Adobe Reader print a copy of a particular PDF)

Mike

• 4. Re: Printing Contents Of Container Field
                mike.goss@citta.co.uk

OK, solved it myself.

Using a script step Send Event ["aevt";"pdoc";"$FileName"]

Where $FileName is GetAsText(Table::ContainerField)

Thanks All

• 5. Re: Printing Contents Of Container Field
                  JimMac

@ Cita  Sorry I was answering David Weaver's Post

print the contents of the container field (the file that is referenced) without bringing up the file's program (Word, Excel, etc.) 

I am glad you found your answer.

Jim...