Can you describe in more detail what you are trying to do? Perhaps by giving an example?
FileMaker prints one or more records from the current layout. To do what you describe requires setting up a layout to print from the field that you want to print and then finding the record or records need before printing either the "current record" or the Records being browsed.
I can't tell enough from what you have described to be sure, but you may just need to perform a find for the record with the text that you want and print it.
Thanks, I think setting up another layout for printing will be the answer. It is not the layout or record I need to print it is the actual text in a specific field that needs to be printed.
Then you need a layout with only the text field on it. Probably List View would work best.
Thanks Rick, this worked perfectly, much appreciated.
I have another question related to printing filed contents. How do I force a new page when there is too much text to print on the one page/layout?
Make the field two pages tall. Set it to "slide up" and to "resize enclosing part". These are settings on the position tab of the Inspector.
Key facts about sliding layout objects:
- It's only visible in preview mode and when you print/save as PDF...
- Sliding fields will shrink but not expand.
- All layout objects below and in the same layout part as the slide/resize field need to also be set to slide up and resize.
- Objects in headers and footers will not slide.
- Portals will shrink/slide to fit the number of rows of records, but fields within the portal row will not shrink/slide.
- Fields will slide up only if Top alignment is specified for it and will slide left only if Left alignment is specified.
- Consistent side borders are difficult to achieve with sliding fields.
- In FMP13, hidden objects (”Hide object when”) will slide/resize.