4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2013 7:34 AM by AntonioPeregrino

Printing documents in two different printers

AntonioPeregrino

Title

Printing documents in two different printers

Dear colleagues

I'd like to print a FileMaker document  in one printer and another FileMaker document in another printer.

I believe it's possible. But I want to know if  the FileMaker document "A" learn automatically what printer it'll be used (when I will printer that document A in the future) and a doucument "B" do the same in the future (konws what is its printer).

Both printers (different models of printers) via wi-fi. Is it possible? Or I have to change manually the name of the printer ever I want to print each documents?

Thanks a lot.

Antonio Peregrino

• 1. Re: Printing documents in two different printers
          philmodjunk

What do you mean by "document"? Are these two different layouts in the same file?

Best bet is to use two scripts, one set up to print with printer 1 and one set up to print with printer 2. You can select your printer options for each printer in these separate scripts.

Then all you need do is perform the correct script for each "document".

• 2. Re: Printing documents in two different printers
            AntonioPeregrino

Dear Phil

Document = a print form. I'm a doctor and I'd like to print medicine orientation for my patients. 

Thank you for your answer. But I'm new. After Scritp - Manager scripts - new script - print - choose printer - save... How can I run the script after? Is it necessary or my document will find my printer (from script adjusts automatically?).

Thank you again

Antonio Peregrino from Brazil.

• 3. Re: Printing documents in two different printers
              philmodjunk

"print form" sounds to me like you have two different layouts in your database file.

You can add a "print" button to each layout and set them to run the correct script for the printer that you want to use when printing from that layout. The script can open or not open the print dialog depending on whether you mighrt need to specify different settings.

After adding a print button to your layout, you can select the button while in layout mode and select "hide when printing" in the sliding and visibility part of the inspector's position tab to keep from printing the image of the button when you print from the layout.

A more sophisticated print script could be set up that checks the layout's name and then performs the correct print script for that layout, but I'd get the button on the layout version working first before trying this latter approach.

And if you have FileMaker Advanced, you can install a custom menu such that print from the File Menu (and the keyboard shortcut for print) performs your print script instead of the standard print operation.

• 4. Re: Printing documents in two different printers
                AntonioPeregrino

Excellent! Phil.

It was exactly what I would like to do.

Thank you very much.

Antonio Peregrino