3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 26, 2010 3:23 PM by braxton

Printing field contents beyond field border

braxton

Title

Printing field contents beyond field border

FileMaker Pro Advanced 9

Beginner/Intermediate User 

Mac OS X  10.5.8

This is a simple journal database composed of two fields:  Date and JournalEntry. 

I have made a journal with FileMaker.  The JournalEntry field has a vertical scroll bar allowing anyone to write as much as they want.  I would like to be able to print to accommodate any size entry from a sentence to 3 pages or more.  In other words I am looking for a function to increase the boundary of the frame when printing.  It seems there should be a basic setting in the "Set Sliding/Printing" function.  I just can't figure this out.  Any help would be much appreciated.

My current workaround uses a field based on a calculation to get the look I want and then export a .tab file.  I then open that in Microsoft Word and adjust the margins and font.  It looks something like this:

<!--   StartFragment   -->

-----------------------------------------------------------------
      2-22-2010  Monday
      This is a journal entry test. End

2-23-2010  Tuesday
      This is a journal entry test.This is a journal entry test.This is a journalentry test.This is a journal entry test.This is a journal entry test.This is ajournal entry test.This is a journal entry test.This is a journal entry test.End

2-24-2010  Wednesday
      This is a journal entry test.  Thisis a journal entry test.  This is ajournal entry test.  This is ajournal entry test.  This is ajournal entry test.  This is ajournal entry test.  This is ajournal entry test.  This is ajournal entry test.  This is ajournal entry test. 

This is a journal entry test.  Thisis a journal entry test.  This is ajournal entry test.  This is ajournal entry test.  This is ajournal entry test.  This is ajournal entry test. 

This is a journal entry test.  Thisis a journal entry test.  This is ajournal entry test.   End

I would love to set this up in Filemaker.

If I am limited to my workaround can I export a file that I can open in Word that has more formatting control?  This is my current calculation for my exported file:

TextSize ( TextFont ( 

"-----------------------------------------------------------------" & "¶" & 

Month ( Date ) & "-" & Day ( Date ) & "-" & Year ( Date ) & "  " & DayName ( Date ) & "¶" & 

"-----------------------------------------------------------------" &"¶"& 

JournalEntry & "¶¶"

; "Arial" ) ; 10 )

I am trying to set the font to be Arial size 10.  However, it opens up in Word as  Courier size 12.  Is there way to make to make it open up in Word with a 3/4 inch margin by way of an indent function?  The margin is very small now.

I'm trying to make this nice and idiot proof with some scripts for someone who isn't really computer savy.

Thank you so much for any help. 

<!--   EndFragment   -->

• 1. Re: Printing field contents beyond field border
          philmodjunk

It'd be nice if fields could "grow" as well as "slide up".

Since filemaker can't, make a new layout and size the text field to be "3 pages in size".

Set this field to Slide up, also shrink enclosing part. If you have any objects on the layout below or next to this field that are also in the same layout part, set them to slide up in the same fashion.

Now switch to this layout whenever you want to print, preview or PDF your journal.

PS. The sliding effect won't be visible in browse mode, only preview or when printing.

• 2. Re: Printing field contents beyond field border
            braxton

Thanks Phil!

Interesting that if the following entry will not fit on the current page it starts a new page.  So, you can have say 2 entries on a page using half the page and if the 3rd entry is larger than a half page it starts a new page creating a half blank page before it.  This occurs in list mode and form mode when printing.  Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong? 

• 3. Re: Printing field contents beyond field border
              braxton

I want to add to this solution something Phil pointed out.  Clicking on the "body" tag in layout mode brings up the part definition.  There click on "Allow to break across page boundaries".  Doing that allows all to work like a charm.  There will be a limit to the amount I can print on that field.  People with this issue just have to estimate the largest space they would ever use.

Hopefully Filemaker 11 will resolve this issue and have an expanding option in the Set Sliding/Printing menu.