6 Replies Latest reply on May 2, 2013 12:48 PM by PhillipFountain

Printing from Display Table?

PhillipFountain

Title

Printing from Display Table?

I have a table used to display audit information in the following format:

Do the training programs include the following:

1.           for flight crew members:           

1.                     initial and annual aircraft type and systems training including emergency and abnormal procedures related to the aircraft category and type,
        3.                     initial and every two years thereafter:                     

1.                               emergency procedures training,
          3.                               aircraft surface contamination training; and
          5.                               dangerous goods training,

Each item in the structure needs to be easily read and accepted in the auditing process. The section elements can, at times, be very long. Each section as displayed above can be very different from other elements.

To keep the audit process simple, I have started displaying the above in the section in the following record format for ease of readability.

Record 1:

1.            for flight crew members:           

1.                     initial and annual aircraft type and systems training including emergency and abnormal procedures related to the aircraft category and type,

Record 2:

1.                     initial and every two years thereafter:                     

1.                               emergency procedures training,

Record 3:

1.                               aircraft surface contamination training; and

Record 4:

1.                               dangerous goods training,

The above segregated section is great for presenting the information. What is not shown in this example are the headings that identify the section which I do not see as a problem in my question.

My question is: What is the best method of taking the table’s record format and placing it in a report format that looks like the top structure for printing a report as a PDF file?

I’m not sure at all on an effective table structure that will be easy to read during the audit and reporting the results in the acceptable format that is currently being presented in a DOC file. Any help on the best presentation would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Printing from Display Table?
          philmodjunk

How are your fields defined in this table? Can't quite tell which field is which from your record examples.

I think you can set up a list view layout with some of the data in headers and/or sub summary parts, but don't fully understand your table design here.

• 2. Re: Printing from Display Table?
            PhillipFountain

I have two screen shot files attached. The fileMakerAuditRecord displays the 5 fields being used. The FileMakerAuditReportRecord show the Word file table layout used to fill out the audit results. The FileMaker Report should look similar to the Word table.

The only process I can think of is to break the Element field into additional fields (i.e. b., i., and A.) and use FileMaker scripts to handle the printing of fields that have content. I do not know the scripting language yet other than just looking at the enter face within FileMaker. I assume FileMaker Scripting is similar to JavaScript and that there are third party editors available. I'm more accustomed to Delphi Pascal editors.

Thanks again,

• 3. Re: Printing from Display Table?
              philmodjunk

I don't see any screen shots. Sometimes they're slow to appear after uploading or perhaps you didn't upload a screen shot of the correct file type. (Can't upload PDF's.)

I would make each row of data in your examples a different record rather than different fields within the same record. A list view layout can then list all the items in your list without the need to re-enter the same data over and over in different records.

• 4. Re: Printing from Display Table?
                PhillipFountain

Ok, I Choose two files FileMakerAuditRecord.JPG and AuditReportRecord.JPG which is a screen copy of the Word file that would be converted to a PDF report at the completion of the audit.

The FileMakerAuditRecord would be locked after updates are made in January of each year and interfaced with information from flight department and auditors files that would be incorporated into the find reported PDF file.

Hopefully the two file uploaded.

• 5. Re: Printing from Display Table?
                  philmodjunk

You can only upload one to a given comment, but you can always post again in order to upload additional images.

Do you need to reproduce the format shown here (the indenting) or just the order shown? (your original posted examples did not show any indenting). To get the formatting shown in your latest image, it may be easier to export the data as text to MS Word and let the word processor produce the outline format shown here.

• 6. Re: Printing from Display Table?
                    PhillipFountain

The format above, in the first file, is how I present the information with the indented content. It will be accomplished by my company once a year and then the file will be locked before distribution to the customer. When an audit is accomplished a copy of this file and other associated files that will be linked to this file will be created. When the associated files are completed a PDF report will be created with all pertinent information. The information you see is the information needed to structure the auditor protocol which is the heart of the application. All other information will follow this format.

The indentation is important so the user can follow the structure of what is being asked. You will notice that each record repeats the headers down to the individual element. There may be a number of sub-elements as in: i. ii. iii. and A. B. C. that are displayed as individual records because each of these elements need to be accepted or rejected by the auditor through a radio button.

The problem I see is in building a report from this structure. I may have to play with the report creating side to get an understanding of its limitations. I do not know how much is interface design and what can be done though coding which I have to get a handle on.

I appreciate whatever information can be provided.

The attached file is what needs to be printed