1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 9, 2014 3:51 PM by philmodjunk

Printing Headers

Atkins

Title

Printing Headers

Hello,

I have a print layout setup with a Title Header that contains a block of information I always want to print on the first page.  I then have a Header with my column names, and this is showing up on all the pages EXCEPT page 1.  I then have the Body with my fields, and lastly a small footer with the page number.  I'm using List View so I get rows of all my records.

For whatever reason the header doesn't print on page 1.  Is this supposed to be this way?  I got around that by putting that same content at the bottom of my Title Header, so the Title Header prints on page 1 and then the Header prints on the remaining pages.  I'm using the "Slide" feature to slide my content up because there is a text block in the Title Header that is non-standard.  I've oversized the field and it's working great as I can see the bottom of my Title Header sliding up as it should be.

My problem is that the Header doesn't appear to slide, and/or it doesn't show up on the print, but it still takes up the space it would be taking up.  This means that I have a blank strip, about a half inch tall, where the header "should" be.  Is there a way to force this header to show up?  Or is there a known issue getting a Header part to slide up based on content in a different Part?  The Body appears to be doing this well, but not the Header.

Also, just curious, is it necessary to take off the "lock position to top" auto-sizing lock in the Position inspector to make sliding work?  I've experimented both ways and haven't noticed a difference.  Thanks!

• 1. Re: Printing Headers
          philmodjunk

For whatever reason the header doesn't print on page 1.  Is this supposed to be this way?

Yes and you have encountered a known limitation of a part of FIleMaker that is very past due for an upgrade as this has worked much the same through a great many versions of FileMaker.

Key facts about sliding layout objects:

1. It's only visible in preview mode and when you print/save as PDF...
          3. Sliding fields will shrink but not expand.
          5. All layout objects below and in the same layout part as the slide/resize field need to also be set to slide up and resize.
          7. Objects in headers and footers will not slide.
          9. Portals will shrink/slide to fit the number of rows of records, but fields within the portal row will not shrink/slide.
          11. Fields will slide up only if Top alignment is specified for it and will slide left only if Left alignment is specified.
          13. Consistent side borders are difficult to achieve with sliding fields.
          15. In FMP13, hidden objects (”Hide object when”) will slide/resize.