3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2015 8:49 AM by c.wagner1

Printing in OS X

c.wagner1

Title

Printing in OS X

Hi guys,

I'm working on a solution that will print out shipping labels and pick tickets.  These print out from 2 different printers.  One label printer and one regular laser printer.  The laser printer is actually just the system default printer.  I'm trying to make this work with as little effort on the end users part.  They should not need to remember to select the proper printer or paper size for each printing, they just need to be able to click a button and out pops the shipping label from the label printer and out pops the pick ticket from the laser printer.

Now this would not normally be hard in a single user environment, however this is a hosted solution and multiple people may be printing labels and pick tickets from different computers.  First is there any way to check for the presence of a particular print queue in this case the label printer?  I know we can get the default printer queue in a script step but is there any way to see what other printers are installed since the label printer would never be set as a default printer?  Next would it even work?  If I hard code in my script to use a specific print queue found on my computer and that script is run on computer that has a print queue with the exact same name will it print to that printer on the other computer?  What happens if a print step is hard coded in a script step and the printer specified does not exist on that system?  Any advice on this would be welcome.

• 1. Re: Printing in OS X
          DanielPerry

I may be reading this wrong. But it sounds like you are over complicating. Surely if you just make a script which sends 2 different print layouts to 2 different printers, the operating system will handle the rest? If all the machines and 2 printers are on the same network, don't the print queues on the individual macs, just wait for there turn on the printer? Am I missing something?

• 2. Re: Printing in OS X
            philmodjunk

As far as I know, if your script uses print setup to refer by name to "Printer A" and you run the script on another computer where the same driver is installed with the same name, it will work, but I suggest running some tests with your system to be sure.

You may want to investigate a plug in called MyFMButler as it offers a number of options for setting up much more detailed control of via scripts of the printing process.

• 3. Re: Printing in OS X
              c.wagner1

Phil - I think your suggestion for the MyFMButler may be the best. Looking through the documentation I would have the ability to test for and handle the cases where the appropriate printer is not present gracefully.

Daniel - 2 things.  First the label printers are not networked, we just have several or the exact same model.  (The one FedEx gives you for free if you ship enough stuff with them.  They are not networkable)  Second even with a networked printer the queue could be named differently on different computers.  If the printer is named wrong on a system that tries to print to it something bad is going to happen.  I'm going to have to do some kind of testing to see what that is or how bad it is.  Either way I don't think you can come up with a way to test for this before and handle the exception so I think I have to look to the plug in Phil recommended.