3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 17, 2010 11:03 AM by PJCBG

Printing Issue

PJCBG

Title

Printing Issue

5 times out of 10 Filemaker crashes when I try to print anything from our databases.  Typically we have 20 or so databases being shared or logged in remotely on a daily basis on any given computer, when Filemaker crashes...the print job goes through still (thank god) but...we then have to open Filemaker again and wait for all the databases to load again and it's really hanging us up lately.

Every PC on this network has the same problem whether it be Windows Vista or Windows XP.

Happens with small amounts of records being printed and large amounts.

Printer: Panasonic DP-C262.

Printer is hooked through the network only, no localized PC attached.

We have tried disabling anti virus before printing.

Using Filemaker Pro 9.0v3.

Have not tried to update printing drivers yet.

If you need further information let me know but I believe I covered everything we have tried.  It is very difficult to test if any solution has worked because as I said before it's pretty random when it will crash and when it won't but it's about 1/2 the time printing is attempted.

• 1. Re: Printing Issue
          philmodjunk

Do you have a different Printer you can print to as a test? (That will help determine if it's the printer or Filemaker that's the cause.)

Can you Preview your reports?

Can you use a PDF utility to print your reports in place of your printer without crashing?

Is this a new printer or one you've been using for sometime and suddenly you've got trouble printing to it?

• 2. Re: Printing Issue
            PJCBG

I will test a different printer.

Have not tried the PDF thing.

Drivers are up to date, I just checked.

Yes we can Preview our reports.

It's not a new printer, it's always been like this.

• 3. Re: Printing Issue
              PJCBG

Results of printing from a different printer...

10 tries to New Printer (Note: USB Connected, not through network): 10 successes

10 tries to Panasonic DP-C262 (Networked printer):  2 successes

So it's either the Panasonic Printer or a problem with printing to a printer on the network.  How can we test that further? (I don't think I can connect this new printer straight to a network, I would have to share the printer from this PC and try to print from the network from a different PC)