This method is not perfect but works reasonably well in most situations.
Create your print layout with taller boxes. Make them much taller than you expect to need. Then use the sliding and visibility secton of the inspector's position tab to set the fields to slide up, resize enclosing part.
This sets the fields to shrink and slide up, removing the resulting white space when you print, preview or save your layout as a PDF.
Key facts about sliding layout objects:
- It's only visible in preview mode and when you print/save as PDF...
- All layout objects below and in the same layout part as the slide/resize field need to also be set to slide up and resize.
- Objects in headers and footers will not slide.
- Portals will shrink/slide to fit the number of rows of records, but fields within the portal row will not shrink/slide.
- Container fields will slide only if Top, Left alignment is specified for it in the data formatting section of the Inspector's data tab.
- Consistent side borders are difficult to achieve with sliding fields.