1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 21, 2011 1:41 PM by philmodjunk

Printing issues

mattb

Title

Printing issues

I have a screen with several edit boxes.  The edit boxes are 3 lines high but they have scrollbars so users can input any amount of information they want to.

If I invoke the built-in FMP Print function, I get an exact duplicate of the visible screen, so if there is any information input that is below the visible 3 lines of the box, that info will not get printed.

If I create a Report layout, I can make the box associated with the screen's input box taller, e.g. 5 lines tall instead of 3, so some of the material that is not visible on the screen will get printed, but...

I don't want to have to pre-define the box height in the Report layout - there's no way I can know how much material the user will put in, so in this case I'm just making an educated guess and there can be material that still doesn't get printed.

Is there any way in this situation to create a report that prints everything the user types into a scrolling edit box without cutting off material and pushing the next edit box below it down on the page?

Or...are there any 3rd party FMP plugins that have enhanced reporting capabilities that will solve this issue ??

Matt Bloomfield

• 1. Re: Printing issues
          philmodjunk

This method is not perfect but works reasonably well in most situations.

Create your print layout with taller boxes. Make them much taller than you expect to need. Then use the sliding and visibility secton of the inspector's position tab to set the fields to slide up, resize enclosing part.

This sets the fields to shrink and slide up, removing the resulting white space when you print, preview or save your layout as a PDF.

Key facts about sliding layout objects:

1. It's only visible in preview mode and when you print/save as PDF...
          2. All layout objects below and in the same layout part as the slide/resize field need to also be set to slide up and resize.
          3. Objects in headers and footers will not slide.
          4. Portals will shrink/slide to fit the number of rows of records, but fields within the portal row will not shrink/slide.
          5. Container fields will slide only if Top, Left alignment is specified for it in the data formatting section of the Inspector's data tab.
          6. Consistent side borders are difficult to achieve with sliding fields.