7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 9, 2012 10:28 AM by philmodjunk

Printing Line items from a portal

Title

Printing Line items from a portal

Hi

I have looked over a previous post (How Do I Get Multiple Line Items to Print) but am still stuck. The problem I have is slightly different. 

I have the customers, inoices, line items and products table. I have designed a new print invoice layout that has a portal showing related records from the lines table, and the layout shows records from the invoices table. It all seems to look great until I click preview at whcih poiunt the line items all disappear except the top row. 

Any suggestions?

Thank you

Will

• 1. Re: Printing Line items from a portal
          philmodjunk

Are you sure that you have a portal here? The layout you describe is not one that would normaly have a portal to line items as it is usually based on the line items table and you just add the fields from line items in a narrow row in the body of the layout.

Once you are in preview mode, if you click the "book control" in the top left of the status area can you flip through multiple pages with one item on each page?

When you say "it all seems to look great", are you in layout mode or browse mode?

• 2. Re: Printing Line items from a portal
            GuyStevens

I personally would never print from a portal.

Did you look at this thread:

http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/94859ab99c

It's not exectly the same situation, but you could look at the file I provided in the example file and maybe you can adapt that.

If you can't figure it out let us know. I could make you something as an example.

• 3. Re: Printing Line items from a portal

Hi Phil and DaSaint,

Thank you both for your advice. I have tried doing away with a portal as suggested and having a simple single field height body, that contains the two required fields from my line items table - description and price. In the footer I have merged fields displaying total, vat etc...and fields from the 'invoice details' table.

In the header is a mail merge type introdution. 

This is all on a new layout I created called "print quote trade". 

In browse mode the layout looks as I want it to look when I print it. If it is in list mode. But when I click on preview, all but the top line of the invoice lines disappear.

If I view in form mode, obviously only the first line field appears in preview mode..

I have attached a grab of the layout in edit mode

• 4. Re: Printing Line items from a portal
                philmodjunk

I don't see why this would work at all in browse mode, unless Invoice Details is the name of your line items table. Is it?

Is the first field in the body shown in layout mode as ::Description, or just Description?

The :: at the start of a field name indicates that the field comes from a related table and normally Description and price extension fields would come from the same layout as specified in Layout Setup and thus would not show the :: to indicate a related table as the source of the field.

This layout should be based on your Line items table and the fields shown in the header and footer should be coming from the related Invoice table rather than the reverse.

I think I know why you are seeing one row in preview. check the printing options for the Body layout part and see if "page break after every 1 occurrence" is specified.

keep in mind that you need to use a script that pulls up just the line items records for a given invoice in your found set before printing from this layout or your invoice will combine line items from more than one invoice.

• 5. Re: Printing Line items from a portal

Hi Phil

I am aware of the related table :: point. I think your last two paras may explain and solve my problem. My main issue is that once I am stuck on something I try another part of the database instead of taking it step by step! Too impatient..

Will try all this tomorrow and tonight and see how I get on. Thank you again for your time..

Will

• 6. Re: Printing Line items from a portal

Am alreadybogged down with writing a script as you suggest

"script that pulls up just the line items records for a given invoice in your found set before printing from this layout or your invoice will combine line items from more than one invoice."

How should Igo about this? write it into an "enter layout' script? How do I get the preview or even browse mode to display the current record's lines and not from all records in the list view?

GTRR? I have tried a few ways but not quite working. Sorted the page break issue - thank you for that!All fields in header and footer are related to the invoice detail table and the layout is using lines as you assumed..

• 7. Re: Printing Line items from a portal
                      philmodjunk

GTRR will work, so will a scritped find, but it must be initiated before you reach this layout.

Here's a simple invoicing demo that uses this print method, created by Comment and uploaded to a different forum:  http://fmforums.com/forum/showpost.php?post/309136/