4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2009 5:49 AM by Victor

Printing multiple page Invoice with portal

keswick

Title

Printing multiple page Invoice with portal

I have created Invoices using the general tactics that have been discussed in other threads (a table for Invoices linked to a table for the individual invoice lines etc).  The Invoice has a portal which shows the individual invoice lines from the linked table.  Everything works great, except for printing the invoice when there are more items than the portal can show on one page - I cannot get it to print a second page that shows the lower rows of the portal.  I am using FileMaker Pro 9.0 - the only tip for multiple page portals I have found in the Knowledge base is for version 3 and doesn't appear applicable.

The portal has a vertical scroll bar and I have written a print script that will go to the portal row below what can be displayed and print a second page, but the printout of the second page just shows the first set of rows.  In other words, if the portal shows 8 rows of items (all that can be fit on page), the script prints the page then goes to the 9th row and prints again - but the first and second printouts are identical showing only the first 8 rows of the portal, though the form on the screen shows that the portals was scrolled.  The portal is in the body of the layout with leading and trailing grand summaries (holding the general invoice info about the customer, totals etc).

Ideally, the invoice would print with the information currently in the leading grand summary (customer info & PO) on the first page, the portal showing the invoice lines filling the rest of the page and going to the next page (or pages) and the information currently in the trailing grand summary (shipping costs, total invoice cost) at the end.  But I would settle for the general information currently in the summaries being on every page if I could get all the items printed.

Suggestions?  Do I need to abandon the portal for the Invoice print layout, and if so what should I use instead?

thanks

• 1. Re: Printing multiple page Invoice with portal
          ninja

howdy keswick,

thanks for the post.

I also ran into this issue, but in a material dispensing operation...different industry but same type of printout.  Rather than print the layout you work from with the side scroll bar and everything, I made a separate "Printing" layout.

In the "Print" layout, I put the # of rows in the portal to 175 and just let it rip.  Make sure, however, you handle the "sliding and printing" to move up the summary fields and footers for invoices that only have 3 or 4 lines.

Does that make sense in your application?

• 2. Re: Printing multiple page Invoice with portal
            keswick

Thanks - that does work.  I had actually already set up a special layout for printing the invoice so it was quite easy to change the number of portal rows (and make the "body" section a lot bigger! ;-)  The sliding up of the fields in the trailing summary worked well too.  Again, thanks!

• 3. Re: Printing multiple page Invoice with portal
              lizhe

I don't think it's a good way to do that.

First how about an invoice with item more than the total records you set in the portal?

Second, I just tested the solution, it is hard to adjust the portal height depending on your Head height. As a result you can lost rows in the page break place. My solution is using a script to switch to the LineItem table by goto the related records when you want to print the Invoice. There you create a new layout for print only, which is in list view only. This way, there is no loss for the items in your invoice and no limit on how many item can appear in the invoice.

• 4. Re: Printing multiple page Invoice with portal
                Victor

lizhe,

how do you do lineitem. i have invoice system and i am trying figure out how to set up  nice layout for invoice when it get printed. any sample code will be appreciate it.

Thank you,

Vic