6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2014 5:21 AM by davidanders

Printing one record on used label sheet

vedaveda

Title

Printing one record on used label sheet

Hi, Is it possible to print one record at a time on a used label sheet?

• 1. Re: Printing one record on used label sheet
          philmodjunk

Yes, if you use one of several methods to generate a blank "placeholder record" for each tag already consumed. You can enter a number for the number of used tags in a field and then a script can find or create the needed placeholder records.

• 2. Re: Printing one record on used label sheet
            vedaveda

Thanks! Sounds promising. Are these methods explained in some details somewhere?

• 3. Re: Printing one record on used label sheet
              philmodjunk

Not that I know of. They aren't terribly complex, but the exact best approach is frequently determined by your exact needs and the design of your database. I haven't spelled out your options in detail for that reason.

• 4. Re: Printing one record on used label sheet
                vedaveda

Thanks again PhilModJunk. The database is rather simple. It lists real estate properties. Each record include an auto-enter serial/unique value field. I created it with basic knowledge of FMP. I may export the record and import it in a duplicate template in which I will create blank records to fill up for the used labels. It may not be the most elegant solution but it should work for what I need. It it somewhat surprising that FMP doesn't offer a simple solution.

• 5. Re: Printing one record on used label sheet
                  philmodjunk

There's no need to export the record and import the record. Not only can FileMaker directly import the data without any need for exporting, but none of that should be needed.

You can simply set up a table with one field in it, a foreign key match field that matches to the ID of your real estate records.

To print labels, you just create records in this temporary table, assigning an ID to the foreign key field to show data from a specific real estate record. The blank "placeholder" records needed position the record you want to print on the correct location on the page can just be left blank.

And if you are always printing just one label at a time, it's simpler to get a dedicated label printer such as the DYMO printer to print them directly from your real estate table.

• 6. Re: Printing one record on used label sheet
                    davidanders

A graphic of the label page with a script to insert the correct number of blank records assigned to each label graphic works well.

Sending a sheet of labels through a laser printer multiple times runs the danger of peeling a label onto the interior of the printer.