10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 9, 2009 8:55 AM by philmodjunk

Printing Problem in Filemaker Pro

Mandunges

Title

Printing Problem in Filemaker Pro

I am using Filemaker Pro version 8 for the MAC.

I had written a program to enter details of a library card and then print the cards in a specific format. It was working fine. Suddenly when I print a set of cards, it prints only every other card. So if I select 5 records, it prints 1,3 5

I am using the printer: HP LaserJet 4100N

• 1. Re: Printing Problem in Filemaker Pro
          philmodjunk
             Please make a detailed description of your layout. Maybe we can then spot the issue.
          • 2. Re: Printing Problem in Filemaker Pro
            Mandunges

The odd thing is that this used to work fine and they have been printing for many months now. The problem started a couple of weeks ago.

Also I tried the printing on my home computer - I have windows XP  and am running version 7.0 of Filemaker Pro. it printed fine. NO PROBLEM.

the script for the PRINT CATALOG CARDS is as follows:

Go to Layout Catalog Card print

Print[restore]

LAYOUT IS:

<<PublicationDate>>
            <<Author>>

<<TitleOfArticle>>

<<Editor>>
            <<TitleOfBook>> <<Edition>> <<BookVol>> <<BookPages>> <<PlaceOfPublication>> <<Publisher>>

<<TitleOfSerial>> <<Series>> <<SerialVol>><<No>> <<Pages>>

<<NoOfCopies>>
            <<PrintableNote>>

• 3. Re: Printing Problem in Filemaker Pro
              philmodjunk

In layout setup... what printing options have you selected?

Any chance this is layout has been set for two column printing and you're only getting the left hand column printed?

• 4. Re: Printing Problem in Filemaker Pro
                Mandunges
                   In the layout setup: the printing is set to 1 column
                • 5. Re: Printing Problem in Filemaker Pro
                  philmodjunk

Well that rules out the most obivous explanation.

When a user previews the layout, do they see everyother record or all the records?

Have you tried creating a new layout with this information to see if that fixes the problem. (A layout can become corrupted and one printer driver may tolerate the corruption where another doesn't).

• 6. Re: Printing Problem in Filemaker Pro
                    Mandunges

When the user previews they see all the records. it is only on printing that it prints every other record.

I did not realise that layouts can get corrupted. I will create a new layout and see if that works.

• 7. Re: Printing Problem in Filemaker Pro
                      philmodjunk

The preview should match the print, provided that the same printer settings are selected in both cases. Is this print operation being done from a script? If so, is there any chance that the script is switching to a different layout before it prints?

Just to get more information, what kind of "cards" are you printing?

• 8. Re: Printing Problem in Filemaker Pro
                        Mandunges

Yes this is being done from a script. I checked the script and it is going to the correct layout. - Catalog Card print. So no change that the script is switching to a different layout. And this is the only layout that prints in this particular way. So it is going to the correct layout.

These are cards that are used in a library for cataloging. Three print on a page, a regular A4 page which is formatted with perforations of 3 cards.

• 9. Re: Printing Problem in Filemaker Pro
                          Mandunges

I am having a very strange problem in Filemaker Pro.

My client has Filemaker pro 8 (MAC) and I have Filemaker Pro 7 (WINDOWS). At the client site, the label printing scripts that I have written print only every other page of the labels. But if I first do a print preview and then do FILE PRINT it prints ok.

The odd thing is I opened the same program in Filemaker Pro 7 and then saved it again. Now when I took this back to the client site, it is working fine.

Could it be that the script or program has got corrupted and got fixed in filemaker pro 7?

• 10. Re: Printing Problem in Filemaker Pro
                            philmodjunk

Did you update the printer script step when you did this? That might explain the difference.

a script step that reads Print [Restore] stores settings specific to either the currently selected printer (Older versions of Filemaker) or the printer selected in Setup... when the script step was first created.