4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2009 8:48 AM by kapitaen_1

Printing Problem using IWP (IE7)

jluca

Title

Printing Problem using IWP (IE7)

Hello All,

This is driving me crazy!

I am trying to print out using ie7 or ie8  and the print preview is making line thicker and not shown certain line.  It look find in the web browser but when go to print preview it does show certain line I make.   It look fine in filemaker and in the browser but not in printpreview.  

Does anyone else having these problem?   Is there setting in web browser or in file maker that need to be turn on.   Is something corrupt.  

Is there an  more easy way to print maybe not thru web browser?

Any feedback would be great thanks!

• 1. Re: Printing Problem using IWP (IE7)
          TSGal

jluca:

Thank you for your post.

The thicker line may be a limitation of the browser software.

If it appears fine in FileMaker Pro, pull down the View menu and select "Preview Mode".  This information displayed here is what will be sent to the printer.  If it looks fine here, try printing to make sure it appears correctly.

Try printing from the browser.  Does the line print correctly?  Or, does the line appear the same way as the browser print preview?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Printing Problem using IWP (IE7)
            jluca
               when i go to preview in file maker nothing appear.     Why is that??  It was there couple of days ago.   
            • 3. Re: Printing Problem using IWP (IE7)
              TSGal

jluca:

Unfortunately, I don't know how your layout is designed.  Is the line in the Body part?  Sub-Summary?  Header?  Footer?  Is it a horizontal line?  Vertical line?  What is the line width?  What color?  Any information to help describe the layout would be helpful, or take a screen shot and set a link to view it.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: Printing Problem using IWP (IE7)
                kapitaen_1

hi jluca, hi tsgal,

before you start a long thread here, what-you-see-is-what-you-get is not possible on iwp. Every browser renders a little bit different. And what you see on your browser screen can differ from what your browser prints.

The only thing you can do is to get your iwp site as similar (oops, right word? in german: ähnlich) as possible. The same ... impossible.

Try to set the line thickness to two points, black, and no transparency for some test. If ok, try to change one parameter and test again. Then the next parameter. And test it with as many browsers as possible. IE, Safari, Mozilla, Opera, and if possible on Windows, Mac OS/X, Linux, Solaris. You will find little differences every time.

After testing the parameters, you should take the parameter combination that "best fits your needs". Finding one that looks exactly tha same in native Filemaker Client and iwp screen and print ... no chance.

greetings from germany

Chris