1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 15, 2013 8:04 PM by philmodjunk

Printing problems

smokey

Title

Printing problems

I'm working in Windows with FMP 11 and have a problem with it printing everything that I have in the Notes field.  Other than making my field bigger in the printing section, is there any way that I can get everything in that field to print?

Thank you for your help

• 1. Re: Printing problems
          philmodjunk

And what Notes field is that? Could this be a large text field with multiple entries in the same field? It's usually a better design to set up a portal to a related table of notes so that each note entry is in a different portal row.

For printing, you can set up a list view layout based on the Notes table and still be able to include fields from the parent record in the layout. This can be pretty flexible in terms of the amount of data included in the notes.

But that option doesn't always work for every situation, and then you are back to using a very large portal set to slide/up reduce--which won't be terribly different from using a very large single note field set to slide up and reduce the enclosing part.

Key facts about sliding layout objects:

1.           It's only visible in preview mode and when you print/save as PDF...
          3.           Sliding fields will shrink but not expand.
          5.           All layout objects below and in the same layout part as the slide/resize field need to also be set to slide up and resize.
          7.           Objects in headers and footers will not slide.
          9.           Portals will shrink/slide to fit the number of rows of records, but fields within the portal row will not shrink/slide.
          11.           Fields will slide up only if Top alignment is specified for it and will slide left only if Left alignment is specified.
          13.           Consistent side borders are difficult to achieve with sliding fields.
          15.           In FMP13, hidden objects (”Hide object when”) will slide/resize.