3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2011 8:07 AM by philmodjunk

Printing records and connecting fields

TiagoAmado

Title

Printing records and connecting fields

Hi everyone!

I have templates for several databases that we need in the place I work in, but I would like to do a couple more things although I don't know how.

The first question is: when printing the records can you choose an option like "fit to page" or something similar. Some of my layout pass the printing limit so I was woundering if this is possible.

The other two questions are a bit more complicated (I hope I made it clear) and are as follow:

I) We have many of our samples in 81 well boxes numbered with the positions A1-I9. In the filemaker template for the samples (let's call it SampleDB) I have made fields to indicate the location of the sample, namely the box name (eg:Plasmid1) and the position number (A1-I9) inside the box. What I would like to have is something in this database that would "monitor" the boxes records, I mean if someone tries to include a new record at the SamplDB in the box "Plasmid 1" and in the well "A1" but this well is already taken it will not allow it and give an error message. Is this possible? Also in this template there is the location of the box where the sample is, eg. in the sample X record it would say A1(Position) Plasmid1(Box) and Freezer2(Freezer).

II) I also made a template to indicate where each box is, lets call it FreezerDB. In this template some fields are exactly the same, and should match the ones is the SampleDB (eg. the Plasmid1 box should say Freezer2 in both of them). Is there anyway to relate the 2 fields from the 2 different databases so that when inserted in one place it would automatically change in the other?

Hope you can help. If not do you know of any other place where someone might know the answer?

Thank you.

Tiago

• 1. Re: Printing records and connecting fields
          philmodjunk

The first question is: when printing the records can you choose an option like "fit to page" or something similar. Some of my layout pass the printing limit so I was woundering if this is possible.

Not really. There is a scaling option that may work on a Mac system, but it doesn't work for windows. Best bet is to enter layout mode, use Printer Setup To select page size and orientation, then move/resize layout objects to get everything you want to see printed inside the page break lines. It's often necessary to create separate layouts in Filemaker--one for printing and one for data entry.

I) define a text field with this auto-entered calculation: Position & " " & Box & " " & and Freezer. Define a unique values validation rule on this field and your users will get an error if they enter a position, Box and Freezer value that matches a record that already exists in your database table.

II) Yes, you need a relationship that links your records something like this:

LocationTable::LocationID = SamplesTable::LocationID

LocationTable::LocationID should be an auto-entered serial number. Any fields that have the same exact data in both tables should be deleted from the Samples table. Instead, add the corresponding field from LocationTable to your SamplesTable layout. Be aware that the user will be able to edit the data in the related LocationTable record unless you use the Behavior settings in the Inspector to prevent this for each such field.

• 2. Re: Printing records and connecting fields
            TiagoAmado

Hi

Thanks a lot for the reply, it was very useful. The secound part was not very for me clear but I manage to do it in a different way (without serial numbers).

Tiago

• 3. Re: Printing records and connecting fields
              philmodjunk

If you do not use an auto-entered unique value for your location records, you risk problems due to data entry errors. If you enter or select the wrong value, then enter records in the samples table related to it, it is difficult to correct the errors without also breaking the connection to the related samples records as their link is based on this incorrectly entered value. Thus, an auto-entered serial number defined in Location is the safest method. If you have questions about how to set up this serial number field, feel free to ask.