1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 15, 2014 6:56 AM by philmodjunk

Printing reports and dynamic field height

Maikel

Title

Printing reports and dynamic field height

question 1 - I have created a report page in preview mode. I create a selectionprocess  by a script to load the page (set var $x, Go to Layout, find mode, set field $x, perform find enter brows mode). But the that in my report stay blank. What am I doing wrong

question 2 - t is possible to make its size of a field dynamic.. for example; A field can show 80 characters. If i filled the field whit 180 characters the field must be automatical larger.

question 3 - When you copy text filemaker remember the style of the copied text. How can I set the font style of all text in filemaker is equal to the settings of the field, even after the copy past..

• 1. Re: Printing reports and dynamic field height
          philmodjunk

1. I cannot tell from what you have posted thus far. I suggest posting your script here in the forum and describing your database design in more detail.

2. For printing, preview or save as PDF, you can set fields to shrink but not to enlarge. This can be done by selecting Sliding and Visibility options in the Inspector. The trick is to set the fields much taller than you ever expect to need. See additional info listed at the end of this comment.

3. Open Manage | Database | Fields and find this field's definition. Double click it. Select the calculation auto enter option. Enter this calculation: TextFormatRemove ( self ). Clear the do not replace existing values check box. This will fix this for new records but not for existing records. You can use this function with Replace Field Contents to remove the pasted formatting from your existing records.

To post a script to the forum:

1.           You can upload a screen shot of your script by using the Upload an Image controls located just below Post A Answer.
          3.           You can print a script to a PDF, open the PDF and then select and copy the script as text from the opened PDF to your clipboard for pasting here. (with this approach, you can get multiple script steps on the same line, please edit the pasted text by inserting some returns to separate those steps.)
          5.           If You have FileMaker Advanced, you can generate a database design report and copy the script as text from there.
          7.           If you paste a text form of the script, you can use the Script Pretty box in the Known Bugs List database to paste a version that is single spaced and indented for a more professional and easier to read format.

Key facts about sliding layout objects:

1.           It's only visible in preview mode and when you print/save as PDF...
          3.           Sliding fields will shrink but not expand.
          5.           All layout objects below and in the same layout part as the slide/resize field need to also be set to slide up and resize.
          7.           Objects in headers and footers will not slide.
          9.           Portals will shrink/slide to fit the number of rows of records, but fields within the portal row will not shrink/slide.
          11.           Fields will slide up only if Top alignment is specified for it and will slide left only if Left alignment is specified.
          13.           Consistent side borders are difficult to achieve with sliding fields.
          15.           In FMP13, hidden objects (”Hide object when”) will slide/resize.