1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 1, 2014 3:01 PM by philmodjunk

Printing sliding field that spans pages

gclarkw

Title

Printing sliding field that spans pages

I have a user who wants a print layout with a field that can span pages so that the users aren't limited in the amount of information that is entered.

I have set the field to span 10 pages, and have enabled sliding to remove unecessary blank space from the field, and this appears to be working correctly.

There are a few fields below the large field, and I have enabled sliding to move those fields up based on the size/position of the large field, and this appears to be working correctly.  I also have a page number in the footer, and have also enabled sliding on it too.

The problem is that the report prints extra blank pages with header information, for a total of 11 pages.  I have also enabled sliding for the items in the header, thinking that it might be causing the problem.

Any information that can be provided to help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Clark Walters

• 1. Re: Printing sliding field that spans pages
          philmodjunk

Sliding has no effect for items in the header and the footer. It would appear that there is at least a few pixels of empty space between the bottom of the last sliding layout object in the body and the start of the footer. If the size of the sliding objects works out just wrong, there need be just one such extra pixel of "white space" extending past the page break to trigger a next page--which will appear blank in your output.

If you pull the footer/body boundary up as tight to the lowest sliding layout object, you shouldn't get such an extra page.

Key facts about sliding layout objects:

1.           It's only visible in preview mode and when you print/save as PDF...
          3.           Sliding fields will shrink but not expand.
          5.           All layout objects below and in the same layout part as the slide/resize field need to also be set to slide up and resize.
          7.           Objects in headers and footers will not slide.
          9.           Portals will shrink/slide to fit the number of rows of records, but fields within the portal row will not shrink/slide.
          11.           Fields will slide up only if Top alignment is specified for it and will slide left only if Left alignment is specified.
          13.           Consistent side borders are difficult to achieve with sliding fields.
          15.           In FMP13, hidden objects (”Hide object when”) will slide/resize.