1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2016 6:56 PM by texas0478

Printing to Brother ql-570 from filemaker

AnthonyTesoriero

Title

Printing to Brother ql-570 from filemaker

I have been trying to resolve this periodically for months. I have a brother ql-570 label printer and a solution where I need to print a variety of different sized labels. I also have multiple Dymo label writers that are part of the same solution.  This problem has been nagging for months and we have worked around it by purchasing new DYMOs to replace the Brother printers and using sheet labels. Neither of which are economical solutions or make much sense.

The problem is that when we execute a print command from filemaker to the printer we consistently get the error message "The roll of labels or tape inside the machine does not match the one selected in the application." I believe we have tried everything: resizing layouts, removing and adding margins, resetting the printer itself, resetting the print preferences, updating firmware, updating software... I'm at a loss.

I can print to the printer perfectly using the P Touch software as well as using third party label printing software, labelist and label & address from SOHO... In addition when we switch to the DYMO's we can print as well. It just will not work so far from FMP and we have a dozen of these printers that would all have to be replaced if we cannot solve this... 

• 1. Re: Printing to Brother ql-570 from filemaker
          philmodjunk

The error suggests that the wrong page size is selected for the label roll loaded in the printer. My experience has shown that getting FileMaker to retain a page size setting other than letter to be very problematic but haven't had to deal with this issue in FileMaker 12 so don't know if it's any different than earlier versions in this respect.

You may want to test out the MyFmButler plug in. I haven't used it myself, but it offers more detailed script level control of the printing process--such as selecting a specific page size and thus may provide a work around the issue.

• 2. Re: Printing to Brother ql-570 from filemaker
            AnthonyTesoriero

I agree thats what the error appears to be but unfortunately this error is happening not just through scripting it happens even when trying to print directly from a preview screen, using page setup etc... 

I will download MyFMButler on your recommendation and give it a whirl... Any other suggestions are appreciated...

• 3. Re: Printing to Brother ql-570 from filemaker
              philmodjunk

But when you print manually are you also being careful to select the correct custom page size for the specific label roll loaded into the printer?

If you didn't that could explain the error message that you are seeing.

• 4. Re: Printing to Brother ql-570 from filemaker
                AnthonyTesoriero

Yes, I should have clarified that to begin with, thank you. When printing manually I have double checked all settings. Unlike Avery and DYMO Filemaker does not seem to have any pre templated formats for different Brother Label sizes or any templates for roll fed labels, only sheet fed labels, so it requires the creation of a custom paper size, which I have done. I have tried the size exactly and slightly larger and slightly smaller in addition I have played with the percentage settings. Nothing has seemed to work yet, but I'm not giving up hope.

Any other suggestions always appreciated.

• 5. Re: Printing to Brother ql-570 from filemaker
                  philmodjunk

Filemaker does not seem to have any pre templated formats for different Brother Label sizes or any templates for roll fed labels, only sheet fed labels, so it requires the creation of a custom paper size, which I have done. I have tried the size exactly and slightly larger and slightly smaller in addition I have played with the percentage settings. Nothing has seemed to work yet, but I'm not giving up hope.

That's not what I am talking about. The error message you are getting has nothing to do with the design of the layout from which your are printing your label.

In the Print and printer setup dialogs, there's a drop down list for selecting page sizes such as letter, legal and custom sizes specific to your Dymo label sizes. This page size must match that of the roll of labels loaded in your printer or, I would guess, you would get this error message. This page size selection in the printer dialog access info set up for printers in your computer's OS. I don't know if the installer for your dymo printer driver will install all the correct custom page sizes for all possible label rolls or if you will need to access this OS setting to add more custom page sizes specific to the rolls of labels that you want to use.

I'm aware of this issue because we print from FileMaker to a pre-printed NCR receipt form loaded into a dot matrix printer (a "dark ages" way of doing things, but haven't convinced the boss that we can go plain paper for our receipts). Since the page is not a standard letter size, I had to go to the printer server settings and add a custom page size specific to what we are using. Without that setting, I don't get an error message like you do, but the printer fails to correctly advance the form to the correct tear off position.

• 6. Re: Printing to Brother ql-570 from filemaker
                    AnthonyTesoriero

Sorry for the delay in response...

I have checked both the page setup as well as the print dialog and double checked all settings to confirm the custom page size is selected. Still the same result, each time we attempt to print the printer shows up and shortly there after the same message that the size of the labels does not match...

Its mind boggling and beyond frustrating at this point.

• 7. Re: Printing to Brother ql-570 from filemaker
                      philmodjunk

Try this test. Instead of directly scripting the print operation, Have your script preview the label layout and pause, then select print from the FileMenu while the layout is in preview mode. Check the page size setting when you do so.

Does that work? (what we've found in older versions it that FileMaker print and print setup scripts don't always correctly restore a custom page size.)

• 8. Re: Printing to Brother ql-570 from filemaker
                        apdofficer

I had the same issue, getting the same Error message. I found that while I was in preview mode, in filemaker 12 I had the option of print setup, where I was able to select the size of the paper. When I selected the correct size, I finally was successful in printing. Hope this helps..

• 9. Re: Printing to Brother ql-570 from filemaker
                          Fimano

I am struggling with the same issue. Well, it works, but I used to get no error message. After copying the layout and script to a different part of the database, even the original script had the error you describe.

As suggested above, I have tried to pause the script and to enable the Print dialog. FMP displays the right printer. But there is a tooltip with the message "com.brother-paper-size". I tried once to find this in the /Library folder og my Mac, but I did not manage to solve it that way either.

• 10. Re: Printing to Brother ql-570 from filemaker
                            philmodjunk

Try selecting the correct paper size from Print Set up instead of from Print. You should also be able to make that change from print, but it can be buried inside another dialog so it takes more effort to find it from Print.

• 11. Re: Printing to Brother ql-570 from filemaker
                              Fimano

I can only do it from Page Setup, not from Print.

• 12. Re: Printing to Brother ql-570 from filemaker
                                Fimano
                                /files/a4e1124d0b/Sk%C3%A6rmbillede_2014-01-09_kl._15.53.01.png 558x459
                                • 13. Re: Printing to Brother ql-570 from filemaker
                                  philmodjunk

Yep, but on a windows machine you could. It's a difference in the standard OS supplied dialogs that FileMaker and other applications use for printing.

• 14. Re: Printing to Brother ql-570 from filemaker
                                    Fimano

Update: Troubleshooting tips:

(this is written in a hurry, sorry about any typos etc.)

I spoke to Brother support, leading me to install P-touch Editor, which did not help at all.

I got the latest driver.

On Mac, use the system prefs to select your printer, double-click to open the print queue, which appears as an app with the printer name, in my case Brother QL-570. From the Printer menu, print a test page. This did not work for me.

Keep the window open, however.

In Safari, just to name a random app, open a page, could be apple.com, cmd-P, select your printer, select pages from 1-1 (range), to not get a load of labels, in paper size, select 38 mm x 90 mm, in my case, also called Large Address Label. The text to the right says 38 x 90 mm, portrait, 100 %, no backgrounds, etc. Press Print.

Do you get a label from Safari?

In FMP, which is where you want to print from, make sure not to complicate matters. The layout should probably NOT be created using the wizard and selecting Labels or Vertical Labels; just select your TO, name the layout and hit Finish [Enter], no need to select the Computer, Touch Device or Printer buttons or any of the sub-options.

In my case, I needed to manually set the body part height and the layout width, using cm in the inspector; you might want to use inches, if you are a from a non-SI region…

Does this produce an output?

I still get this message:

”The roll of labels or tape inside the machine does not match the one selected in the application.” <— and Brother just corrected a typo in this message from the earlier driver version…

- so if it says:

”The roll of labels or tape inside the machine does not matches the one selected in the application.”

- then you might have an old driver.

Finally, when it worked for me, I got 2 labels when expecting 1. This got fixes by setting the layout size slightly lower, in my case some round pt-numbers, 250 pt by 100 pt.

I’m not sure if it makes any difference if you are in Preview Mode, but I guess it is always good practice.

Hope this helps,

Jens

1 2 Previous Next