9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2017 7:31 PM by Vaughan

Printing Vertical Line through entire Body

DavidArias

Title

Printing Vertical Line through entire Body

Hi, I'm trying to print Vertical Lines in an Invoice so that the body prints a Solid Vertical Line all the way through the Header from the Footer.

Right now, I've been able to print the line just when a record is printed.

Please help.

• 1. Re: Printing Vertical Line through entire Body
          philmodjunk

If there are no sliding fields, put three vertical line objects on your layout, one the header, one in the footer and one in the body. Align them to look like a single line. Make sure that the line in the body does not touch the boundary lines between header-body and body-footer.

• 2. Re: Printing Vertical Line through entire Body
            DavidArias

Thanks for your help.  

I followed your instructions, but the line still does not go all the way through the end of the body.

Please see enclosed file.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

• 3. Re: Printing Vertical Line through entire Body
              philmodjunk

Is this layout in list view, with the text shown at the bottom in the footer?

Regrettably, I don't know of a way to get the "no man's land" between the last record and the footer to show that vertical line.

• 4. Re: Printing Vertical Line through entire Body
                SetyoMargono_1

This might be an old post, but I just come across at the same situation as David Arias. 

As a matter of fact, I've done this maneuver in fmp11 quite well, by extending the vertical line into the footer part; the vertical line fills up from body until footer, although there is only 1 item to display.

But...since I am now upgrading to fmp13, this maneuver has failed, doesn't work anymore, the vertical line just finish on each item, never reach until the footer part. crying

I've been trying to use `Autosizing` with anchor the bottom, but doesn't work, either.

@David: do you have it solved, already? Would you mind to share the solution as well, here? Thanks

• 5. Re: Printing Vertical Line through entire Body
                  indiguy

VerticalL.jpg old thread, I know, but I was struggling for those vertical lines on invoice printing with portal..but somehow I managed using form view n portal..if anyone still need help then please let me know..Thanks

• 6. Re: Printing Vertical Line through entire Body
                    philmodjunk

Unfortunately, using a portal can trade one set of problems for another.

• 7. Re: Printing Vertical Line through entire Body
                      indiguy

Phil , you are the "BOSS" ..

Man you are soooooo quick.. I always follow your suggestions..

can you please specify, how portal create problem..i am using simple setup..invoices n printing through portal..i just need to print list of invoice for said customer...so I thought portal is great for that..

but I think if its actual invoice  printing then taxes and other stuff might create problem..can you please specify it in detail, if possible..????..so I can avoid using portals for those things..

Thanks a lot..

• 8. Re: Printing Vertical Line through entire Body
                        philmodjunk

Portals are optimized for data entry not printing. They can be used successfully for printing as long as you respect their limitations:

1. You can only print as many portal records as you have rows in your portal. If you have 11 related records and 10 portal rows, one row will not be printed.
                        2. You can set the portal to be very many rows tall and set it to slide up/resize enclosing part to show only the rows used, but note that this would not work for the case here as they want a vertical line extending the length of the page and you still have an upper limit on the number of related records--even if it is very large
                        3. And you can cannot have the individual fields of a portal row slide up/resize to accommodate data that may require more than a single row of text.

All of these issues are avoided with a list view layout based on the portal's table instead of the parent record's table. But we do still have the limitation discussed here. Personally, I'd just do without the vertical lines.

• 9. Re: Printing Vertical Line through entire Body
                          Vaughan

"Regrettably, I don't know of a way to get the "no man's land" between the last record and the footer to show that vertical line."

That "no man's land" is the trailing grand summary. Make it bigger than the page, allow it to break across page boundaries, and discard the remainder of the part.