7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 4, 2009 1:02 PM by singerdf

Privilege set for day of only entry

singerdf

Title

Privilege set for day of only entry

I have created a data base and would like one of my data entry personnel to only be able to enter data and create records on the current day.  So all records created the day before and back would only be able to be browsed, but not changed.  I have figured out how to set the privileges so that once a record is created that is all they can see and use.  But, I need the file to create a record first.  I am perplexed as to how to set up the privileges or find a work around.

Any help would be most appreciated,

Debbie 

• 1. Re: Privilege set for day of only entry
          Jade

Hi Debbie,

Please read the 4th message (4 of 5) in this thread:

http://forum-en.filemaker.com/fm/board/message?board.id=FM-en-4&message.id=8174#M8174

It shows how to setup the privileges for your data entry personnel so that certain records are locked (i.e. can be viewed but not modified). 

Instead of checking the status for 'complete' as in the example, you can check if the creation date on your record(s) is less than the current date.

• 2. Re: Privilege set for day of only entry
            singerdf

HI, Jade.

I found that post and added a "complete" field with values:  Yes, No.  That was easy.  I adjusted my privileges set and tried to see what happens when I open the database as the data entry person.  I get <no access>  on everything.  I have three tables in the file.  They are inter related.  I think I need more specific instructions as I do not have this set up correctly.

Thank you in advance,

Debbie 

• 3. Re: Privilege set for day of only entry
              Jade

Hi Debbie,

In the example, the field name is: "status" and it is checking for the value: "complete" not "Yes" or "No".

Can you post the script that you are using? 

Hope this works for you… 

• 4. Re: Privilege set for day of only entry
                singerdf

Jade,

I adjusted the fields.  No difference.  I think I am partly stuck on what to set in the custom privileges area for View, Edit, Create, Delete and Field Access.  I assume that once I hit the complete button on the record (which will be related to records in a total of three layouts) they will be closed.  Currently I have View:Yes, Edit:limited, Create:Yes, Delete:NO, Field Access, All.

Am I close?

Debbie 

• 5. Re: Privilege set for day of only entry
                  Jade

Yes, very close…

Here is the whole thing from the start:-

In the "Edit Privilege Set" dialog box:-

Under "Data Access and Design"

• for "Records:" select "Custom privileges…" from the pop-up menu

In the "Custom Record Privileges" dialog 

• select your table

• for "Set Privileges:" choose "limited…" for the "Edit" pop-up-menu

Enter your test for the status in the "Records can be edited when" dialog box. 

• for example:  Case(your_table::status = "complete" ; 0 ; 1 ) 

• 6. Re: Privilege set for day of only entry
                    Jade

Debra Singer wrote:

I assume that once I hit the complete button on the record (which will be related to records in a total of three layouts) they will be closed.  

When you complete the entry, an error message should be displayed and the changes you made refused. 

• 7. Re: Privilege set for day of only entry
                      singerdf

I amaze myself.  I had no access set for the layouts which meant I could not see anything!!!  You are so helpful and so patient.  I will give this a try this week.  Interestingly I did not have to set privileges on all of the tables as they are related.

Thank you again,

Debbie