5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2013 8:45 AM by philmodjunk

Privilege Sets and Permissions

bruns

Title

Privilege Sets and Permissions

I have a database and I have setup privilege set named Safety Advanced.  There are probably 20 layouts, I have someone that I have assigned this provilege set to, in this privilege set, I want them to only have access to change 1 layout, so I selected custom privilege for layouts, and of course it opens up all layouts.  I have selected view only for all but the one she can modify and it says modifiable (everything else is view only).  That all seems straight forward, however when I log in as her to test it, she has the edit layout button on all layouts.  If I go back and have her view for all layouts, then the edit layout button is grayed out for all layouts.  I thought just maybe a glitch in my system, so I tried this on 2 different layouts and same results,  then I thought I would try on my mac and same results.  Does anyone have an idea what I am doing wrong or is there a glich somewhere?  

screenshot2.jpg

• 1. Re: Privilege Sets and Permissions
          philmodjunk

Do you want to allow this user to modify the design of the layout itself? Generally speaking, that's rarely a good idea...

• 2. Re: Privilege Sets and Permissions
            bruns

I agree that is a really bad idea, but she is responsible for this portion of the database alone and she will need to make design changes to that layout and a few other report layout relative to the Operator layout. 

• 3. Re: Privilege Sets and Permissions
              philmodjunk

What happens when you click the edit layout button on one of the restricted layouts? And on the layout she is permitted to modify?

another poster here complained that he wasn't able to set up a non full-access account that allowed the user to make design changes so I am curious as to what is actually possible with a limited access account.

• 4. Re: Privilege Sets and Permissions
                bruns

Good catch, the edit button actually allows me go into edit screen but will not allow me to make any changes, I never went that far, I assumed that if it let me into the window that I could make the changes.  Thanks

Lesson learned, I should not have assumed, again.

• 5. Re: Privilege Sets and Permissions
                  philmodjunk

A very logical assumption and perhaps something that should be pointed out to Filemaker in an Issue Report.

If you have FileMaker Advanced, you might try using a script to install a custom menu for your user that omits the Layout Mode option from the View menu on all the layouts where the user is not permitted to edit the layout. I am predicting that this may also remove or dim the edit layout button in the tool bar.