4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2013 9:52 AM by philmodjunk

Privilege Sets-for 1 field

ahutler

Title

Privilege Sets-for 1 field

Hi,

We have FM pro v. 12.

I would like one person's account in filemaker to have the capacity to change information in only 1 field that is a drop down field, changing it's status.  However, I don't want them to having' writing access' only reading access for all other fields in the database.

Is this possible?

Thank you

• 1. Re: Privilege Sets-for 1 field
          philmodjunk

IN manage security, you can set access restrictions for a given Table, not a given field. Thus, if you want to set up restrictions in Manage | Security, you'd need to put this field in it's own table and link it by a one to one relationship to the original table.

But you can also use a validation rule to prohibit changes to a given field for users with a certain privilege set name.

And scripts with script triggers can also check the privilege set.

The scripted method is not as secure, you have to be careful and consistent with your layout design.

• 2. Re: Privilege Sets-for 1 field
            davidanders

One option - create a duplicate of the layout and remove edit access to all but one field.

• 3. Re: Privilege Sets-for 1 field
              ahutler

Hi David Anders,

I created a duplicate but I don't know how to do the second part you suggested, "remove edit access to all but one field"

Could you point me in the right direction?

Thank you!!!!

• 4. Re: Privilege Sets-for 1 field
                philmodjunk

On the Inspector's data tab, there's a section labeled "Behavior". Clear the checkbox for Browse mode for a selected field and the user will not be able to modify data in that field on that layout.