5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2009 10:05 AM by makita

Problem adding records from drop down list in a portal...i think due to some calculation fields....

makita

Title

Problem adding records from drop down list in a portal...i think due to some calculation fields....

I have created fields "formula id" and "formula name" which are each calculations (concatenation) of two other fields.

On my layout I have these two fields and then a portal in which I am trying to add records (from two different drop down value lists).

My drop down list shows...but when I try to select one of the choices,  I get the error:
      This action cannot be performed because this field is not modifiable.

From previous posts, I can see that the problem is somehow related to my calculation fields but I don't know how to fix the issue.

Also...I do not know how to attach a copy of the file or any screen shots to this forum so someone can see what I've actually done.

Can anyone help ??  I can email the file (it's really small).

Thanks much
      Karen

• 1. Re: Problem adding records from drop down list in a portal...i think due to some calculation fields....
          ninja

Howdy Makita,

Are there any fields showing in your in your portal that are NOT calculation fields?  If so, if you enter data in one of them first, does it work the  way you want?

If a field is defined as a calculation field, you can't enter data directly into it.  Is that what you're trying to do?  If so, why not enter data instead into the fields that it uses to glean data from...just put the "source fields" in the portal row too.  Then remove the dropdown from the calculation field...

Does this help or did I miss the boat?  Please let me know.

• 2. Re: Problem adding records from drop down list in a portal...i think due to some calculation fields....
            makita

Ninja...thanks for replying...

in a nutshell, my layout has two fields

FB Combo ID (an id number which is a concatenation of the id numbers of two other fields) and 

FB Combo Name (a formula which is a concatenation of text from two other fields).

I then have a portal...

The fields in the portal are:  

THERAPEUTIC ID and THERAPEUTIC SOURCE

THERAPEUTIC ID is a drop down value list ...and the list shows...but when I try to select one of the choices -- which will then populate the THERAPEUTIC SOURCE field as well...I get the error message.

It took a lot of tries just to get the drop down list to show up...I was confused for days...and now it does not do me any good.

I'm really stuck on this project until I resolve this issue.

It would make much more sense if you could see the file -- I know I'm not explaining very well.

• 3. Re: Problem adding records from drop down list in a portal...i think due to some calculation fields....
              makita

By the way...the data in the FB Combo ID and FB Combo Name fields are pre-populated from an import I did...so all I'm trying to do now is "attach" the THERAPEUTIC info to these fields.

I think the whole  TABLE  JOIN TABLE  PORTAL thing has me going in circles.

• 4. Re: Problem adding records from drop down list in a portal...i think due to some calculation fields....
                makita

Looking at the file again (and again and again), I really think my problem stems from not knowing how to do

the join tables properly.

I have 

TABLE:  PROGRAMS

Field: Program ID

Field: Program Name

TABLE:  FORMULAS

Field: Formula ID

Field: Formula Name

TABLE:  BOTANICALS

Field: Botanical ID

Filed: Botanical Name

Join TABLE:  PROGRAMS Items

Field:    Program ID

Field:    Formula ID                     I entered my PROGRAMS and then via a Portal

and a Drop Down list, I populated the one to many relationship

of each PROGRAM having several FORMULAS

Join TABLE:  FORMULAS Items

Field:    Formula ID

Field:    Botanical ID                    I had entered my FORMULAS and then via a Portal

and a Drop Down list, I populated the one to many relationship

of each FORMULA having several BOTANICALS

Then, it gets a bit complicated:

All of my future fields need to be related to a COMBINATION of the FORMULA and the BOTANICAL (FB Combo).

So... BOTANICAL "Garlic" as used with FORMULA "SuperFood" will have a list of Therapeutic Uses

and then also

BOTANICAL "Garlic" as used with FORMULA "SuperFood" will have several Reference SOURCES

This is the ultimate goal of my database...to list the Therapeutic Uses and the related Reference SOURCES for each of these FB Combo items.

So...this is where I'm stuck.

I think I've messed up some of the join Tables... and this may be causing the problem with data entry of the Therapeutic Uses and the Sources.

• 5. Re: Problem adding records from drop down list in a portal...i think due to some calculation fields....
                  makita

I guess the FMForums will let me upload my file... which I can't figure out how to do on this site...

so it is there.

http://fmforums.com/forum/showtopic.php?fid/32/tid/201476/pid/318671/post/last/#LAST