3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2009 6:45 PM by unc12

Problem entering data in a field with Instant Web Publishing.

DSM

Title

Problem entering data in a field with Instant Web Publishing.

I have been working on this problem for a while now. The issue is that when you access a record (only using Instant Web Publishing) you can not modify the Username field. The username is simply the users firstname and lastname combined. I use this field for drop down lists and in scripts to perform certain finds. Since this can be a calculated field, I have tried changing so that the users do not even need to bother entering the username in this field, but when I do that the drop down lists and scripts begin to have issues. I then went back to requiring manual entry of the username field when the record is created. I can modify any other field in the record and when I click submit they all accept the data except for the username field. It appears blank. I have checked and re-checked that their are no validations set and have removed all indexing for this field. Ideally it would be best if the users did not have to enter the data manually, but I just need something to work here. I would be happy enough either way. When I use the filemaker client to enter the data, I can enter the username field. The problem only occurs with Instant Web Publishing.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

• 1. Re: Problem entering data in a field with Instant Web Publishing.
          TSGal

DSM:

Thank you for your post.

If everything is manual, then there should be no reason why the field cannot be edited, unless you have an Access Privilege set up for a web account.

Try removing the Username field from the layout, and then add it back again (do not cut and paste).  It may be the layout is corrupt and Instant Web Publishing is having difficulty making changes to that field.

Please let me know if you continue to have difficulty.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Problem entering data in a field with Instant Web Publishing.
            brentdurland_1
               Have you tried going back to original thought of having this automatically entered, but using an auto-enter text field instead of a calculation field? This should work great, the user won't have to do double-entry, and the field can remain a text field.
            • 3. Re: Problem entering data in a field with Instant Web Publishing.
              unc12

I have had this same problem.

I first thought it was a privlege issue, so tried logging in as the default full access user, problem still persisted. 

The DB will accept direct data entry, that is data typed into the field. 

The issue is that the DB will not except data selected from a drop-down list, using a value list, as a data selection and entry command. I even included a commit records script command on the form. However still a no-go.

PS - The drop-down list tests fine in the data base mode. It just does not work in the IWP mode. 

unc12