2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 2, 2009 10:35 AM by wixx

Problem getting "Set Field" to import images consistently

wixx

Title

Problem getting "Set Field" to import images consistently

I have setup a database in Filemaker Pro 9 that contains records for groups of individuals (from 1-4 people per record). I've included containers on the layout to display photos of each person in each group when available. I've further setup scripts to retrieve and insert these photos from a folder on my computer, using "Set Field" with a calculated result to auto insert a .jpg with a filename the same as the individual's name - a different script for each photo container, activated by a keyboard shortcut.

Now... this database is setup on a host machine, to be accessed over the local network in the office, as well as remotely through instant web publishing. All images are saved in a folder in the "web" sub-folder of filemaker, to allow them to be shareable over the web. Here's the problem:

When I access the database through the web, everything works fine - if I have a record that contains the maximum of four individuals, all images appearas as they should. BUT when I access the same record through the local network, only the first two images are displayed, while the containers for images 3 & 4 display "the file cannot be found: *filename*.jpg"

Clearly the script is working properly if it dislpays ok over the web. Why can't it find the same files locally?

Does anyone have any thoughts?

• 1. Re: Problem getting "Set Field" to import images consistently
          TSGal

wixx:

Thank you for your post.

The Web folder is strictly for Instant Web Publishing displaying container objects stored as references.  This is not the same for FileMaker Pro peer-to-peer sharing.  In this case, the entire file path is read, and if not found, FileMaker will tell you.  It will not look for a default location.

In order to see container objects stored as references across the network, the other users must mount the volume where the files are stored.  For example, if I wanted to store a file as a reference on a Macintosh computer, I may put the file in a public .me (.mac) account and set the reference there.  Then, I would ask others to access the public .me account prior to opening the database file.  If I needed it for Instant Web Publishing, I would put the file in the Web folder.

Originally, I thought you came across an undocumented feature, but no matter what steps I took, I could never display a container reference via FileMaker Sharing unless the reference was either located in a shared drive, or embedded in the database itself (which I think is your case).

One way of checking to see if your file is referenced is to create a calculation field that references the container field.  If it shows just the file name, then it is embedded.  If it also contains the full path name, then it is referenced.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Problem getting "Set Field" to import images consistently
            wixx

Been a while since I've been around here... apologies for the late response.

But thanks! Everything working well now.