13 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2014 6:35 PM by philmodjunk

Problem in inserting picture

arunans

Title

Problem in inserting picture

Hi

I have some problems in inserting picture and am totally new to filemaker

We have a client application where i need to insert a picture but the picture in a remote server. I need to know how we can implement this.

The implementations i have made are creating a container field and a script which points to this and inserts the picture.The problem i encounter is only wen i go and click on perform script this action takes place and the client does not want a server side schedule for this. 

I need to know how to insert this picture without any scripts and if there are any ways to insert the picture.If so kindly let me know the syntax and steps.

Thanks in advance

Aruna

• 1. Re: Problem in inserting picture
          philmodjunk

I need to know how to insert this picture without any scripts and if there are any ways to insert the picture.If so kindly let me know the syntax and steps.

While In Browse Mode, click the field.

Then select Insert Picture from the Insert Menu

• 2. Re: Problem in inserting picture
            arunans

Hi phil 

The picture is in a remote server so i am unable to use insert picture since only pictures from local machine am able to insert with insert picture option.

Thanks

Aruna

• 3. Re: Problem in inserting picture
              philmodjunk

If you can't use insert picture, without scripting, there is no way to insert that picture.

But pictures from a remote site may be insertable if they are placed in a directory to which the user has "read" access.

The pictures could all be previously imported into a FileMaker database and the user could then drag and drop the image from that FileMaker table.

But I think you need to explain why you do not want a scripted solution for this.

• 4. Re: Problem in inserting picture
                arunans

Hi the problem with scripted solution is because the client doesnt need server side schedule job for this since the picture(which is a logo) has to be loaded the minute the user opens filemaker, and since there are a lot of scripts that are loaded in the start of application, i do not know how to automate the script without server scheduling. Is there any option in filemaker to automate a script? because i have already done the script. went to layouts->manage layouts->script trigger ->onlayoutenter is what i have used. Is any other way to automate a script?

One problem with draga nd drop is that the remote server has only filemaker server installed and not filemaker pro. So we are doing the changes in our machine by using open remote. Only the files are in server and not the application.

• 5. Re: Problem in inserting picture
                  philmodjunk

Inserting an image from the server does not require a server side script.

It sounds like the image file should already be inserted into a container field instead of trying to insert it at the moment the user opens the file. If different users should see different images, each should be inserted into container fields by you, the developer and then the start up script can use any number of different methods that uses the user's Account name to select the correct image so that it appears on the appropriate layouts.

• 6. Re: Problem in inserting picture
                    arunans
                    hi phil..only when i click on perform script everytime the picture gets inserted.my requirement is the picture should be static and not be executed every time i click on perform script. is there any way i can do this?like i run the script once and the picture remains in the container forever.and this is a logo and it remains the same for all records
                    • 7. Re: Problem in inserting picture
                      arunans
                      In other words i just wanna know how to insert picture from a remote desktop. that machine has only file maker server and not client application. please help me out with the steps to insert the picture.. thanks in advance
                      • 8. Re: Problem in inserting picture
                        philmodjunk

To repeat. What you describe does not sound like you should be inserting this picture at all. To me, it sounds like you need to set up a table where each record has a container field with the image already inserted. The script, and/or the user would select an image from this table. You would then link the current record to this related record with the image instead of inserting yet another copy of the image.

• 9. Re: Problem in inserting picture
                          arunans
                          Hi phil.. Thanks a lot for the constant help.. But i still don understand how to insert the image in the container field without script.. Is it i should run the script every time even in the table which contains all the images also every time?can u pls help me with how to insert the image in the container? is therr any calculation?
                          • 10. Re: Problem in inserting picture
                            philmodjunk

Any answer that I make just repeats what I have already said. As far as I can tell there is no need to insert that image from the server, it should be inserted into the database previously so that the user or a script need only select that previously inserted image from a table of the same.

• 11. Re: Problem in inserting picture
                              arunans
                              hi how do we insert it to the database?... is it likr a local variable? will it be suffice if i run the script once and the image would be there? can u tell me the steps how to insert it?
                              • 12. Re: Problem in inserting picture
                                TKnTexas

I will give my take on this.  I am creating for others to use.  In my Configuration table I have a global field as a container.  It is on a TAB.  I have position the large container field, taking up most the tab.  The field is the button, I have attached a script step to open a FILE.  I set the options to allow the USER to navigate to the file.  I have it set to display the contents and not compress.  

I have a field with a drop-down (Left - Center - Right) so the user can set where on the layout header the logo displays.  There are three global fields, one for each alignment.  I have small fields so the user can see the one that gets chosen.  

• 13. Re: Problem in inserting picture
                                  philmodjunk

how do we insert it to the database?

You, as the developer with full access both to the database and to the image files on the server, can use Insert from the insert menu or Import Records | Folder from the File menu to insert or import images into container fields in a table. Then, your users or a script can link a user's record to a particular record in this table of images in order to show the desired image.

I fully realize that there could be reasons why this approach may not work for you, but from what you have described so far, this should be a workable option that eliminates any need to insert images from the remote server. If this does not appear to be a method that you can use, please describe what you are trying to do in more detail.