1 Reply Latest reply on May 5, 2014 7:36 AM by philmodjunk

Problem in List View VS Portal (Printing)

BryanSantos

Title

Problem in List View VS Portal (Printing)

I hope the experts can help, my problem has been driving me crazy for several days now. Shout out to PhilModJunk! :)

Here's my problem:

I have a filemaker system that has monthly recurring billing for each customer. I am printing a statement of account each month, that details all unpaid monthly bills.

The format of the statement of account is as follows:

- The top section will contain the billing statement of the current (latest) month regardless whether PAID or UNPAID (like our phone bills)

- The bottom section will contain all the previous UNPAID statements (of course not including the latest month)

Solutions I have tried:

1. I have already tried a somewhat working solution by using portals based on a table occurence of my BILLS table, this is working perfectly fine except when printing or converting to PDFs

Problem: 

- Given that the previous unpaid bills is a portal, I have to add in many rows just in case many bills will be unpaid

- Portal slide up is working fine but problem is when printing, given that I have a long portal, it prints blank pages even though they're empty

2. Now, I tried using a list view, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to maintain my format wherein the top section will contain the latest bill while the bottom section of the layout will contain all other unpaid bills

- When my list view layout is based on the previous unpaid table occurence, the list shows all unpaid bills correctly, but I could not make the top section to show the latest billing details (based on the main bills table)

- When my list view layout is based on the main table (billing), I cannot make the bottom section work (there are duplicate entries etc.)

I hope I am clear enough. Hoping for some kind assistance! 

• 1. Re: Problem in List View VS Portal (Printing)
          philmodjunk

Portal slide up is working fine but problem is when printing, given that I have a long portal, it prints blank pages even though they're empty

Did you select the "resize enclosing part" setting? that is supposed to remove the empty space produced when a sliding object shrinks.

Now, I tried using a list view, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to maintain my format wherein the top section will contain the latest bill while the bottom section of the layout will contain all other unpaid bills

This sounds like something that could be done with a) the correct find or Go to related records to bring up a found set of the correct records, b) sorting the records so that they group into the two groups you describe with c) sub summary layout parts serving as "sub headers" and "sub footers" above and below each group of records.

But that is only possible with certain data models, so to explore that option would require a much more detailed description of the tables and relationships involved than you have posted here.