1 Reply Latest reply on May 29, 2009 8:43 PM by JDenault

Problem setting up database and layouts in FM8 Pro Advanced

steve8443

Title

Problem setting up database and layouts in FM8 Pro Advanced

<!--    StartFragment    --><!--   StartFragment   -->I'm having a problem setting up this database and layouts in FM8 Pro Advanced.  It's my first use of the product although I have experience in RDBMS - from 15 years ago though.

I have 3 tables in 1 file.
      PROJECTS with fields: project, due date, objective (linked to OBJECTIVE table, same field), priority, outcome
      OBJECTIVES with fields: objective, due date, priority, outcome, goal (linked to GOALS table, same field)
      GOALS with fields: goal, due date, outcome, priority
      How can I accomplish the following:
      1a) I'd like to add a new PROJECT and then define a (sometimes) new OBJECTIVE and a corresponding (sometimes) new GOAL **in the same record data-entry**.  Otherwise if they're not new then select from "pick-lists" from existing OBJECTIVES and GOALS.  The OBJECTIVE should be neatly added to the Objective Table (or not, if it's not new).  Likewise for new GOALS in the Goal Table.
      1b)  Regarding the pick-lists.  As I enter a new PROJECT I'd like a pick-list of all OBJECTIVES if I select that field.  I then pick one (or enter a new one).  Then I move onto the GOALS field.  When I select it I'd like to see just the GOALS that matches my choice of OBJECTIVE (possibly more than one).  In other words I'd like the GOALS pick list to be "limited" based on my choice of OBJECTIVE.
      I'd also like this to work in reverse.  If I enter the GOAL first and then move onto the OBJECTIVE then the latter's pick list should be limited as well.  All from 1 records data-entry if possible. (BTW - I am confused as to how popup lists and drop-down lists are different).
      At the moment I'm getting all knids of errors.........
      Thanks for your thoughts.
      Steve

• 1. Re: Problem setting up database and layouts in FM8 Pro Advanced
          JDenault

Far be it for me to give any advice here since I am usually the one asking for advice, but your tables *may* not be set up incorrectly.  If I am reading this right you have objective linked to objective, goal linked to goal.  You may run into trouble here down the line if something changes, i.e they don't match exactly the same every time, different spellings etc etc.  I think you may want your Primary keys set to auto-numbers linking to your Secondary Keys (i.e objective, goal..).  Maybe I am wrong.  Also it looks like a lot of redundancy with the fields among the tables, you may want to take a look at normalization, there may be a way to clean it up a bit

Again, take what I say with a grain of salt, and please if I am incorrect, someone correct me :)