4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2009 11:35 AM by heatwave

Problem with "saved as" file copy

heatwave

Title

Problem with "saved as" file copy

I have just upgraded to Filemaker 10 from 8.0 and use a file named "quote" which connects products and pricing from a supplier with customer and project quotations. I can build a customized project price for our jobs as needed. It has worked flawlessly in the past. The base file "quote.fp7" is basically a template. When I begin a new project I will "save as" with the new name and location. One problem I notice is that I now have to tell the program where all the files are, even though when I check in database management, all the locations are correct. The biggest problem I'm having is that one of the tables is missing, even after I have manually told it where the file is. The template file shows the table correctly. Why would it be missing in a file saved under a different name?

Thanks for your help in advance.

• 1. Re: Problem with "saved as" file copy
          philmodjunk

heatwave wrote:

Why would it be missing in a file saved under a different name?

Best guess: You are saving your copy to a different directory. Then your external file reference that works for the original file will be unable to find it. If you check your external file reference under Manage | External Data Sources... and can't figure it out. Copy the text, paste it here and we'll take a swing at helping you understand it.

• 2. Re: Problem with "saved as" file copy
            heatwave

Thanks for your help. I did sort that out by re-assigning to file locations. What is strange is that I've been using the file for over 2 years now since ver 7.0 and not had this problem. I am constantly saving the file in different directories, sorted by year/customer/project  - old pc habits die hard :)

Is there a way of having any new file find the related tables without manually changing the external data sources every time. I notice on the original file that in external sources I cannot save the location of the table files with complete file extension - i.e. home>company>databases>filename, it simply saves the original as >filename . In the "saved as" file the full extension is shown. If I were to relocate the full related table file to another directory, would that help?

thanks

• 3. Re: Problem with "saved as" file copy
              philmodjunk

It's hard to tell without actually examining your file's data source references.

The behavior I am describing has not changed since way back. I suspect that your external data source reference has changed in some way.

You can set up an absolute data source reference under Manage | External Data Sources:

On windows,

filewin:/C:/FolderName/DatabaseFileName.fp7

will work for you. If you're a mac user, you'll need a slightly different format.

You can see examples of both mac and windows formats, when you Choose Manage | External Data Sources... and double click a reference to edit it.

• 4. Re: Problem with "saved as" file copy
                heatwave
                   The absolute reference should work perfectly for me. Thanks for the help !