AnsweredAssumed Answered

Problem with adding records in related files - again.

Question asked by srfeuer on Feb 21, 2010
Latest reply on Feb 23, 2010 by srfeuer

Title

Problem with adding records in related files - again.

I thought I would try this one more time.  It seems a very simple problem to me, although the solution seems to be anything but.

I have a table.  It is a Payments table.  You really don't need to know too much more about it except that it is related to another table.

The other table I will call Group Transactions.  Again, I don't think you need to know to much about this table except that it is related to the Payments table.  I have it on a layout as a portal so that I can add records to it based on payments that are made.  One payment for each group.  If you need to know, payments are all made at the time of the transaction and cover everything in the Group Transaction.  This part works just fine by itself.   I have it set up in the Manage Database to allow records to be added only to the Group Transaction table based on records in the Payment table.  It is a one to many relationship.

The problem is with the next table. 

The next table is a Line Items table.  It is related directly only to the Group Transaction table.  For each transaction in a Group Transaction there can be many Line Items.  Therefore I want to be able to add records to the Line Items table based on entries made to the Group Transaction table.  This table is also a portal on the same layout as the Payments and Group Transactions.  In other words I have two (2) portals on the same layout.  If I turn on the allow records to be added to this table, and only this table, based on records added to the Group Transaction table, a strange thing happens.  Every time I add a record in the Line Items portal, a record is automatically entered in the Group Transaction portal, even though I have not turned on this possibility anywhere in the Manage Database.  It also gets a serialized number even though I have not told it to do that either.

Having worked with other databases for many years, constructing this relationship and adding appropriate records and relationships is a simple task and works exactly as one would expect.  However, I have tried just about every combination I could think of and I cannot get this to work right unless I manually add records to the Line Items table and disallow the "Allow Records to be added" option in the relationship window, or whatever you call it.

Can anyone tell me if Filemaker allows two (2) related files on the same layout in two (2) different portals to add records properly???  If so, how is this accomplished??

I hope this explanation is simple enough to get a proper response.  It doesn't seem complex or difficult to understand the problem to me. 

Outcomes