8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2014 2:42 PM by Claire_2

Problem with drop down

Claire_2

Title

Problem with drop down

Hi,

The drop down value list that I have linked to get data from one table to another is not working.

Here are my steps

1. I've added the second table as an external data source

2. I've also created a value list

3. I've also created a relationship - screen shot attached

Are any of these steps redundant?

4. In layout mode, I've edited that field to display the corresponding data in the form of a drop down

When I exit layout mode, the arrow appears, but there's no listings appearing in the drop down

Appreciate the help

Screen_Shot_2014-04-07_at_11.53.26_AM.png

• 1. Re: Problem with drop down
          Claire_2

here's a screenshot of step 4.

• 2. Re: Problem with drop down
            philmodjunk

Is your layout based on PayRoll or Invoices?

Why is there an inequality operator (<) specified instead of the default (=)?

How exactly did you define the company value list for the drop down?

Is this a use values from a field value list?

What options did you select on the dialog that appears when you select this option for your value list? (a screen shot may reveal why this isn't working).

Are any of these steps redundant?

Probably not, but you have not described what you want to do once you have this value list working so that you can select a company from this drop down list. You may find this thread to be of interest: Auto Fill

• 3. Re: Problem with drop down
              Claire_2

Hey Phil,

My layout is based on payroll.

Have made the operator =, that was my misunderstanding.

I defined the company value list via File > Manage > Value List... > New > Use value List from another file > then select the company value list from the invoice 2 file.

This is what I want - Create a payroll database where I can select particular invoice fields from my Invoice database. The payroll database also has custom number & calculation fields that I've created.

Have I answered your questions correctly?

• 4. Re: Problem with drop down
                Claire_2

Auto-fill is where I am heading, I want to auto fill certain fields based on which invoice I have selected.

I am going through that other thread now

• 5. Re: Problem with drop down
                  philmodjunk

And how is that value list defined in the other file? What options did you specify in Manage | Value Lists in the other file?

Since you have a table occurrence to Invoices in your current file, you can simplify things by setting up the use values from a field option to list values from the Company table without having to refer to a value list in the company file--though that should work for you if it is correctly set up. Either way, that screen shot that I requested of the relevant dialog may clarify why you aren't seeing a value list in the field.

• 6. Re: Problem with drop down
                    Claire_2

That value list is from the Invoice starter solution, from Layout : Customers : Company.

here's the screen grab, that the one?

• 7. Re: Problem with drop down
                      Claire_2

this might be what you're asking for sorry

• 8. Re: Problem with drop down
                        Claire_2

Phil, I'm good have fixed it

many thanks for your help in doing so