AnsweredAssumed Answered

Problem with Import Records - File

Question asked by mattb on Sep 17, 2012
Latest reply on Sep 18, 2012 by Sorbsbuster

Title

Problem with Import Records - File

Using FMP 11 v. 4 Advanced for Mac

I'm experiencing a peculiar problem with Import Records -> File.  All I'm trying to do is import a text file into a table, but the text files do not have a TXT extension on them as they are created by another program.  My experience is that 2 out of 3 times I get an error message that says "This file could not be translated using the selected file type" - the selected file type being "All" in this case (see screenshot).  What's odd is that 1 out of 3 times, FMP does not come up with this error message and does successfully import the text file into a table.  Also, for the 2 files that generate this error, once I rename their file extension to be TXT, the error message disappears entirely and the import works just fine.  Seemingly, FMP's discrimination of file type when importing records is based on file name (esp. filename extension) ?!  Except when it doesn't, because I had one success without renaming one of the files. 

So...what to do here?  The import process I'm writing into my FMP project involves importing data from files created by another software (though they are straight-ASCII text files) and obviously I can't be bothering customers to manually rename the files they want to import in order for the routine to work!  I must be able to import with the files given AS IS with their original names.  I thought of a workaround which involved making a copy of the "offending" file and changing the extension to TXT on the copy and running the import process off that file, but it's a no-go, because the error message comes up immediately upon selection of the original file in the dialog box, no opportunity to make a copy before the error occurs.

The thing that's galling is the inconsistency of the error message appearing, like I mentioned it only comes up in 2 of 3 test cases - in 1 out of 3 cases it works like I would expect it to.

Matt Bloomfield

Import_Records_.png

Outcomes