AnsweredAssumed Answered

problem with join table in many to many relationship

Question asked by ScottJones on Mar 9, 2012
Latest reply on Mar 12, 2012 by ScottJones

Title

problem with join table in many to many relationship

I have recently started using FileMaker Pro again to create some work-related databases.  (I am a lawyer in a small firm.)  For reference the last time I created a database before my recent purchase of version 11, I used either a 2.x or 3.x version; so, it has been a while.

I have looked at a number of posts related to my issue, and I just cannot see what I am doing wrong.  I think that I am so deep in the forest that I am not seeing the tree right in front of me.  Because the database I am havibg a problem with had quite a few "moving parts," I created a smaller sample to see if in the complexity of my larger database, I had just missed something. My smaller sample has the same problem.

My sample database has 3 tables: characters, documents, and join.  The characters table has a character name field and a characterID field.  The documents table has a document name field and a documentID field.  The join table has the 2 id fields.  My problems is that when I create a new document in the document table, there is not one created in the join table.  I have attached a screen shot of the manage tables screen.  I will try to upload otehr screen shots later, if that will help, but I am late for a meeting right now.  I hope someone can tell me the simple mistake I am making.

By the way, this is a great forum.  As I get back up to speed, I will try to contribute.

combined_Page_6.jpg

Outcomes