6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2009 11:56 AM by joebanh

Problem with linked drop-down fields with same values.

joebanh

Title

Problem with linked drop-down fields with same values.

Hi all,

1. I'm using Filemaker Pro 10

2. My operating system is: windows XP SP 3

I'm currently working on a museum exhibition data base and I currently have on drop down menu that is linked to a value list. I need to add 2 more fields with a drop down menu that will be populated with the same values from the same values list. My problem is that once I've created the 2 extra fields and made them into drop-down menus and linked to the proper content (value list), for some reason when I go to use one of the fields, all of them show the same item that I select. Thus, if in field 1 I select, 'apple' from the drop-down menu, it makes the other 2 fields also show 'apple'. Why are they linked like this? Can somebody please advise?

I'm am very new to Filemaker and database work in general and can barely use Excel. SO...that's my level of expertise. Thanks very much for any assistance.

best,

joe

• 1. Re: Problem with linked drop-down fields with same values.
          philmodjunk
             It sounds like you've place three copies of the same field on your layout. If they are copies of the same field, changes in any one of the fields will display identically in all of them for the same record.
          • 2. Re: Problem with linked drop-down fields with same values.
            joebanh

Hi Phil,

Yeah, that sounds like what I did. The thing is that I need 3 fields that have the exact same information (value sets) because of the nature of our project. Because it's an exhibitions database we are using the 3 fields to identify overlapping themes for each artifact that we enter. So for example: for a holocaust inspired painting it could be labeled variously under the themes of 'abstraction', 'modernity' & 'painting'. 

So if I want to do that do I then have to create 3 seperate fields and link each field to a seperate values list even though they would contain the same information?

Thanks. 

• 3. Re: Problem with linked drop-down fields with same values.
              philmodjunk

You would define three separate fields, but you can format them all with the same value list.

You might want to place one such field in a separate table and create a relationship so that you display this data in a scrolling list of related records in a portal. That approach gives you more flexibility and you can enter 1, 2, 3, 4 or even more such items of information for a given art object.

• 4. Re: Problem with linked drop-down fields with same values.
                joebanh

Hi Phil,

Thanks for your help. Basically what I've been doing is using the 'field tool' in the edit layout mode and dragging it into my existing database form and then double clicking on that to format the field as a drop-down menu with links to the appropriate value list. Is that what you mean by definining 3 separate fields? I'm totally new at this and someone else built the database but I've been assigned the task of adding stuff to it. 

I had a look and we currently just have the entire thing built on one table. 

• 5. Re: Problem with linked drop-down fields with same values.
                  philmodjunk

No, that's how you got three copies of the same field on one layout. :smileywink:

Select Manage | Database | fields

Enter new fields by name here and click create. That defines a new field.

Their are many options here for each defined field. You'll need to spend some time learning about them. There are books and tutorials available that can supplement what you learn in forums such as this one.

• 6. Re: Problem with linked drop-down fields with same values.
                    joebanh
                       Ahhh! Got it! Phil, thank you so much for your help and your patience. It's really appreciated. I'll def. try out some more tutorials when I have some time. Cheers!