3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2012 9:46 AM by philmodjunk

Problem with Log-In

nashlopez

Title

Problem with Log-In

In my Main Page I have Main Buttons for them to click before they can access their own layout. I want that if they click that button their is a show custom dialog box appear and then after they hit OK the new Log-In window will appear and then they need to put their username and password before system will bring them to that specific layout. This is to prevent other users access  other layout which ddn't belong to them.

I also wanted that their Firstname should be their Username and Lastname is their Password. Is this possible?

thanks

• 1. Re: Problem with Log-In
          philmodjunk

Why not use this approach? (It's easier to implement with less scripting)

Assign each user an account name and password which they enter when they first access the database.

The buttons to places permitted them are functional. Buttons to areas for which they do not have access rights are greyed out to show that they are "disabled" and either they do not respond to clicks from the user or they pop up a dialog box telling them that they do not have the necessary access privileges to use that button.

I also wanted that their Firstname should be their Username and Lastname is their Password. Is this possible?

This is definitely possible as long as no one has identical first names, but it makes for extremely weak security as other users will easily be able to know and use someone else's account name and password.

• 2. Re: Problem with Log-In
            nashlopez

That's right Phil to assign each user an account name and password before they enter the mainpage of the system. I'm trying to develop a simple enrollment system and I created already different user account.  (ex. Reg1, Account1, Dept1, Student) . Let's say Reg1 account has a username and password, so when they open the system they need to enter the username and password and the mainpage will appeared. In the mainpage they have their own button Phil and I wanted that every button should have pop up window appear asking their username and password before they access their layout. This is to monitor particular user who created and modified records in the database. Because let's say that in Reg1 account they have 7 staffs who manage related transaction to Reg1 department. HOwever, in Student account, I wanted that this account has a username only without password. In the main page they have also their own main button Phil and the same in the Reg1 button they need to enter their username and password before they access their layout (let's say we have thousands of students Phil). I tried to use show custom dialog and relog-in but I can't make a good one.

How to script this Phil?

Anybody help would be much appreciated.

This is definitely possible as long as no one has identical first names, but it makes for extremely weak security as other users will easily be able to know and use someone else's account name and password. ==> YOu are right here Phil, thanks...

• 3. Re: Problem with Log-In
              philmodjunk

First a minor, but possibly significant detail: User names and Account names are not the same thing. User names are specified in Preferences. Account names are specified in Manage | Security. Where this gets confusing is that FileMaker tries to help out by automatically entering the USER name as the ACCOUNT name in the log in dialog that automatically appears when a password protected file opens.

Since a user has already used their account name and password to open the file, there is no need to ask for it a second time. Anytime you need that data for the current user, you can use get ( AccountName ) and text fields defined in your tables can be set to auto-enter the account name each time a record is created and/or modified.