1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 12, 2010 9:26 AM by philmodjunk

Problem with lookups

SD2001

Title

Problem with lookups

I am using FM Pro 10 to create a solution to fill out government shipping forms that I can save and print. I have a file (the Data File) which contains the data (like address,product descriptions, etc) to complete the form with each Data File record containing a unique serial number. I want to be able to use this Data File serial number to import the data into the file containing the shipping form fields (Form File) and save the data based on when each record is created regardless of the subsequent changes made in the Data File. The main table in the Form File contains a unique serial number for each form created and I am entering the Data File serial number into a related table in a portal (4 lines in the portal if it matters) within the Form File to import the Data File information into.

The problem is that when I create a new record in the Form File and I use a matching serial number from the Data File to import the data into the portal line, the data is reimported into all the existing records with portal lines that match this serial number . Is there a way to set it up so the import from the Data File only imports data into the current record of the Form File? Is there a better way to set up the solution then using FM import capability?

• 1. Re: Problem with lookups
          philmodjunk

Import Records is a pretty dangerous option for this type of thing. It's kinda like using a race car to tow your kid down the street on his skateboard. :smileywink:

There's another feature specifically designed for this kind of thing. For each field that needs to show data looked up from your form, find its definition in Manage | Database | Fields and double-click it to bring up its field options. Click the auto-enter tab and select the looked up value option to copy data from the corresponding field in your forms table.

With that feature, creating a new record and entering/selecting the desired form number will automatically copy the data from the Form File for just the current record.