AnsweredAssumed Answered

Problem with my Patients Database

Question asked by MartinKim on Jun 18, 2013
Latest reply on Jun 21, 2013 by philmodjunk

Title

Problem with my Patients Database

Hello, 

I am currently trying out FileMaker Pro on a project, which is working on a database of patients. I have been stuck at this step for a while, and it'd be appreciated if I could get some help / advice. Basically, I have a table of info of patients (called Patients) with fields: Name, Type of illness, Name of illness, Date Seen, etc. Type of Illness is another table, which I manually added some terms. Some examples of the terms that I added are Bone, Chest, Cardiac, and GI; and each of the illness would be categorized by one of these. I have a problem here: If I try to add a new type of illness in the Patients table that is NOT manually added in the Type of Illness table, (ex. neuro, somatic ,etc, as opposed to Bone, Chest, etc.), that specific type of illness does not get updated in the Type of Illness table. So how can I make the program update an object of the field that is added from the Patients table if it is not already in the Type of Illness table? 

Also,What I want to be able to do is, everytime I add a new patient to the database, have a separate Layout update Type of illness and Name of illness automatically. This layout will be named Patients Database; and this part, I was able to do. Then, I would like another layout (called Sorted Database) to contain the same database, but sorted according to the type of illness. I have a problem here: I do not want any overlaps. For example, two patients with the type of illness: Bone, and name of illness: bone fracture would get updated in the Patients Database as well as in the Sorted Database, but in the Sorted Database, there would show 2 "bone fracture" 's. What I intend to do is that on the Sorted Database, I wish to list all of the Names of Illness only ONCE, sorted alphabetically and grouped by Type of Illness. Then, I wish to add a button on the Name of Illness that enables the user to click it and see a list of patients who have that illness on a pop-up or an extended tab. Or, if possible, create a Search bar on the top and enable users to type and search both type and name of illness. 

I'm sorry this may be long and complicated, but this is one step that is really important to me in order to get started, but I am stuck. Thank you so much for you help in advance! 

Outcomes